News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Am I doing this right?

Started by Kendama+cliniK, 04 October, 2013, 18:50:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Kendama+cliniK

I've been trying to get a lunar...just one would make me happy. It continues to elude me.

I've watched countless videos ranging from tutorials to edits to try and get that "necessary spin".
I walk around the house holding the stall.
I feel like I may have the wrong angle for the Tama.

Is there such thing as "too much knee usage"? Or am I just not ready? Help!!!!
Kendama+cliniK

emagdnim

Keep on trying buddy! Some day you will hit it and it sticks with you.

Have you tryed to turn your kendama around two times counter clockwise before you pull it up?
No there is no such thing as to much knee!!

This video helped me out when I was learning it.

Kendama+cliniK

Thanks for the encouragement! I think that's all I need. haha

KendAlex makes great tutorials! I watch 'em all the time and I do feel like the twist in the string does the trick.

Thanks again, friend!
Kendama+cliniK

br4d24

the big thing that helped me was when you do lunars especially, you cant have the string super long (if you do that can effect the responsiveness of the ken i find) and more importantly you cant swing it up, it has to be more of a short pop up onto the tama. Maybe i will make a detailed lunar video to explain it better?

Kendama+cliniK

I understand the 'pop'. More of a 'U' Shape then a swing....However,  a video would be great to see!  :D
Kendama+cliniK

Dimensions

Maybe a different Alex could help[nb][user]alex smith[/user][/nb]
Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

Kendama+cliniK

I've heard about that, but never really seen it applied much. Definitely gonna have to give it a try.
Kendama+cliniK

AlexSmith

^^ Thanks for posting my vid! :) It's a few years old now, but it still applies.

The 'hanging' method in the video IS easier to be consistent with in my opinion, plus it opens up some new tricks that aren't really possible with the swing up method. I think it is best to learn both though, it will make you a more well-rounded player.

Lunar advice: lots of knees! (and ankles, and toes. seriously. When I'm playing my best, I'm on my toes a lot of the time). After that, lots of practise! The first time I landed a lunar it took probably 2 hours of trying, and then I missed the spike :p

Kendama+cliniK

Gotta use them toes!!!! haha
Kendama+cliniK

emagdnim

Quote from: AlexSmith on 04 October, 2013, 22:58:19
^^ Thanks for posting my vid! :) It's a few years old now, but it still applies.

The 'hanging' method in the video IS easier to be consistent with in my opinion, plus it opens up some new tricks that aren't really possible with the swing up method. I think it is best to learn both though, it will make you a more well-rounded player.

Lunar advice: lots of knees! (and ankles, and toes. seriously. When I'm playing my best, I'm on my toes a lot of the time). After that, lots of practise! The first time I landed a lunar it took probably 2 hours of trying, and then I missed the spike :p

True, I did not know this at first. than I asked my girl and she said that I stand on my toes when I do ballance tricks.

BrandonYoder

I agree with everything said, Especially on string length--Its very important to me for a lot of tricks.
also...if we jam together soon, i can help you figure it out. We all help each other learn new things.

Kendama+cliniK

We definitely need to damadown to tamatown!
Kendama+cliniK