News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Yo-yo or...The Pill?

Started by Kendama+cliniK, 03 October, 2013, 15:42:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Kendama+cliniK

I'm limited on cash but I've been wanting to get back on the bandwagon and try to pick up a yo-yo again. I used to get down like a madman when I was younger and now playing Kendama I see so much yo-yo stuff. With limited funds, the quality of the yo-yo may be beginner status, but then again I'm basically a beginner.

There are also the Terra Pills that I have been seeing lately.... I also am interested in these. Right around my spending limit at about 18$.

Now both toys would seem to help freestyle string diversity with my kendama skills...but I feel like I just can't decide.

Any feed back on brands, techniques, or personal opinions would be great!
Kendama+cliniK

The Void

I'm not up to speed with what's a nice basic yo-yo for $18 these days, but I'm sure there must be one.
Personally, I don't find the Pill to be much of an "alternative" to kendama (Sorry Alex!  ??? ), so I'd say Go Yo.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

The Void

If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Kendama+cliniK

I see, I see. Can you give me a quick rundown on what makes an "okay" yo-yo?

Also, how do you feel about some of these?

http://shop.yoyoexpert.com/product/416/YYF-Whip
http://shop.yoyoexpert.com/product/368/YYF-ONE
http://shop.yoyoexpert.com/product/29/YYF-Speed-Dial    <---This one seems to be more favorable to me.
Kendama+cliniK

The Void

I've never used any of those 3. They all look reasonable, and YYF is a good brand, so you're probably fine with any of them.

So much is down to personal preference that it's really hard to say. I don't like brake pads or very wide gaps, but others do. There you go.

Kendama+cliniK

Thank you, thank you!! Very much appreciated.
Kendama+cliniK

emagdnim

I played with the pill of Alex Ruich two weeks ago, They are so mutch fun. Ordered one by Terra, hope it comes fast!

Don't like yoyo's

so I say Pill

BrandonYoder

i started on a "YYF One" and loved it as a nice starter yoyo, but i find it slows down too quick for string tricks.

christian seemed to LOVE his "velocity" from YYF.

Ann Connoly recomended that i start with the Whip.(but im sure it is because she has a pro model)

prepare to fall in love<333

Kendama+cliniK

;D .... Yep, instantly in love.
Kendama+cliniK

BrandonYoder

hey man, i just got a chance to play with the "velocity" honestly....the ONE is twice as good as far as spin time. (keep in mind this is coming from someone who is new to yoyo)
the velocity is awesome because you can adjust how responsive the yoyo is with the turn of a dial, but it just doesn't last long enough for me. as far as Cheep yoyo's that i have played, my favorite is the ONE. but ive always wanted to try a Whip.

Kev

In my view, what yoyo you get really doesn't matter. Any of the well known makes will be good for you, just pick something classic for the right style (2A, 5A etc). Spin times are more down to technique than the mechanics of the yoyo itself, all ball bearing yoyos can spin for ages in the right hands, plus you can always upgrade or adjust the bearing in a cheaper model too.

What matters most is practice. Look at Steve Brown (my fave yoyo player) - he's known to use £10 yoyos as well as the more expensive models.

YoyoJam Pinnacle is my recommendation - cheap enough to be easily replaceable and will spin long enough to do any trick I've ever heard of!

Enjoy!

BrandonYoder

You sound like you know what your talking about.  ;D
i will look into the YoyoJam Pinnacle. i am interested.
iv'e been debating on grabbing an OD Rally, but like i said, i'm pretty new..

Kev

I'm no great player but I used to sell a few yoyos and I think the differences between decent budget yoyos and the high price yoyos are not sufficient to justify the price. That said, people like spending money on these things and fair play to them. Some of the expensive yoyos are wonderfully well produced objects and are very satisfying to play with. (You mentioned you were on a low budget though so I thought you'd be pleased to hear a cheap yoyo can be as good as an expensive one).

Most of these things come down to personal preference. Part of the fun (for some people) is the quest for the perfect yoyo (or kendama for that matter) but because these things are subjective then there will never be a definitive answer that everyone agrees on - this is cool, and keeps it interesting for people with shared interests.

Vive la différence.

Kendama+cliniK

NICE, NICE, AND NICER!!!!

haha I'm getting a Yoyo, no doubt about it. Now I just need to decide which one.

Thanks for the help, everyone!!!

I'm leaning towards the Whip. However, I'm still on the wire about it.

What if I gave myself a little wiggle room when it comes to price ranges? Like 35 or 40 bucks?

Kendama+cliniK

Kendama+cliniK

Steve Brown just blew my mind. Easily one of the coolest. Thanks.
Kendama+cliniK