News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Sunrise model ID?

Started by GbH, 01 July, 2011, 00:24:52

Previous topic - Next topic

GbH

I have a couple of white Sunrise kendamas, but was wondering if they were the Mark I or Mark II type.  Is there a simple way to tell, if you've not got anything to compare them to?

The Void

I think it goes something like:

Prototypes: Unbranded
Mark I: Branded with the 'bite' logo, but no (or minimal?) text.
Mark II : Branded with the 'bite' logo a little smaller, with 'Sunrise, play and perform' text (or similar - I don't have one to hand) around it.
Mark II Fluro: As above, but fluro yellow or pink ball.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

GbH

OK, that's very helpful.  It would suggest that my white ones are both version II, whilst my black/gold one is a prototype. 

Thanks

Sonicpearse

I didn't realise there were different types of Sunrise kendamas!
I like my red/white stripe one very much but the different density of wood used took a bit of getting used to - different 'clickety-click' and slightly different weight...
I'm curious now as to what type mine is, so will check it out. Cheers for the info...
Sonicpearse

sunnyD

Void got it just about right, tx.
There is still a basic split in the production:

All striped balls (2009-2011) have been made in China (little control over wood density) so clicks will differ from ball to ball.
From 2011 we have had just the striped balls from China and have mounted these on the more consistent European manufactured Ken assemblies. I guess some of the click is down to the ken and some down to the hard laquer finish of the ball.
When we have model II in stripes we will post that news. Should be ready before the Munich EJC party.

All single colour balls from (October 2010 onwards) have been of European manufacture and introduced the non-chip laquer finish. The softer laquer will have an effect on the click but this has not been measured in any way.

I have seen some photos of "mongrel" SunRise kendama. I guess that this happens when a reseller runs out of a particular colour ball and starts to swap the parts around to give clients what they want. So old balls on new kens can happen.

How do you know that you have the newer II version for sure?
We put some extra paper protection between ball and string to protect the ball finish for shipping.
And your tama should not chip!

Thanks to all for helping us improve the SunRise kendama.

David

Greg the Strangler

I was wondering, sunnyD, if I could get some insight on the shape of the ken's SunRise is releasing.

I got my hands on a red "new" sunrise very shortly after they where released, and the ken was tapered very closely to the slip-ring, similar to the early SunRise's with the terrible paint. Also, the sorado was very fat in-between the middle of the cups. This dama had an EKA sticker.

I later ordered a UV SunRise. It's ken was shaped very different, closer to an Oozora, with a more gradual and geometric taper towards the slip-ring, and the sorado was lathed thinner. This also had an EKA Sticker.

The difference is portrayed in this photo, I believe:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=264178960269156&set=a.257130867640632.63721.256673721019680&type=1&theater

I met up with fellow USA kendama player Damien Kalven, and he said that the ordered a "new" sunrise, that had the latter shaped ken, without an EKA sticker, and that this is the most current model.

I then ordered a white "new" SunRise, and got the former "new" sunrise with the fat Sorado. I specifically asked for a "new" white sunrise when I ordered, but some SunRises are newer than others, apparently.

I was a little upset to get something I didn't want, and would like to know what to expect the next time I order a "new" SunRise. What constitutes the "newest" SunRise? How do I know I'm getting the real deal?
January–Kengarden Beginner Champion
May–Kengarden Intermediate Champion
December–Kengarden Advanced Champion

sunnyD

Hi Greg the Strangler, better get this post right I guess with a cute name like that...

So back around March-April 2011 we made a batch of 300 Sarados which were around 5mmm thicker as we were concerned about the strength of the piece (strength of the original has turned out to be fine). These entered the production runs which was not intended so really sorry about that.
Most of these went to the US.

In the US we supply clients without the EKA sticker. This is the request from distributors and I can understand that the US would like something perhaps more American. Kendama-co have asked for our manufacturers sticker as an add-on so can supply with/without sticker.
a USKO, any volunteers for that role to keep tabs on competition kendama?   

The UV model is our definitive ken for sure.
Here are the quick facts on the SunRise ken development
1. september 2009 started with a chinese ken which had the thicker lower section and had consistency issues - spot the first simplified SunRise logo lasered into the ken, no text
2. october 2010 switched to production in Europe with the improved ken design and consistent quality wood - SunRise logo is printed with "play & perform" text.

What I have seen is new balls on old style kens. Maybe resellers juggling limited stock, I guess the supplier could help out there.
With various restocking methods at various suppliers they become difficult to trace.

String colour could help with identification. We use all white1xredthread for most kendama, UV colours and the larger Perfromer modles look best with white string so those are the exceptions.

One thought is that there is someone in Texas offering "SunRise kendama from Amsterdam" but these are not made by us :- (
On the pictures there is some photoshop work done on the ken base. The colours are off aswell. Look carefully and you may find that the faces kendama (china) and the SunRise offered are the same. The price is also not credible for a European product.
Really hope that you have not fall;en foul of this. Please let me know if you sourced your kendama from Texas.

If this needs more clarifictaion then just let me know and I will do my best to unravel the intricacies of kendama design.   

'dama!