News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

What is a stabbing heaven when it's not exactly? LOL

Started by Fireproof, 23 November, 2014, 23:51:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Fireproof

Very much a newbie here.

Question 1:  Can you tell me what this is called?

I am holding the ken with sara grip.  I then pull up the tama and spike it from underneath.  Much like a normal spike with a ken grip, only i'm using a sara grip.  Is that a different trick, or no?

Question 1:  Now that I'm holding the tama up with a sara grip, what's a good move to go to next that's fairly easy for a beginner?

Thank you in advance!!

the milky oolong

Hey [user]Fireproof[/user],

A Stab is normally a Spike in Sara-grip when the hole is above the horizontal, hence it often being referred to as a Down-spike, so a Sara-grip Spike that's catching the tama in a pull-up fashion is just (Sara-grip) Spike (grip normally goes first to clarify).

I can't make out in your second question quite what you mean. Do you mean, now that you've spiked in Sara-grip, where do you go from here? If so, I'd say a real challenge but a crucial exercise would be to try to go:

Small Cup
Spike
Big Cup
Spike
Base Cup
Spike

If you meant something else, then sorry, but you write 'holding the tama up with a sara grip), so unless you mean you're holding the tama with the hole facing down (as for the trick the Americans are calling Stunt Plane), then I don't get it. Still, keep trying out the possibilities, have fun!
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

Fireproof

Thanks so much.  That was exactly what I was looking for.  And you did interpret my second question correctly - that is what I meant.

Going to small cup is a good challenge for me, as is all the cups with a spike in between.  I'm still working on my hole-control and it's a lot better than just a few days ago.

the milky oolong

One more thing: think a lot about the placement of your 'free' fingers when in Sara-grip. You obviously need your gripping fingers, but for example the ring and pinky that usually sit in the small cup, are you flexible with them? Does their position allow you to rotate your wrist comfortably? A good test is to try an Earth Turn in Sara-grip - you'll see that it's really difficult to get the spin straight at first, but when you start to think about how your fingers are placed, the spin will become smoother, you will be able to get more pop, and you won't feel like you're having your hand twisted off. Perhaps a bit too much detail for right now, but was just a thought.
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

Fireproof

Quote from: the milky oolong on 24 November, 2014, 11:30:45
One more thing: think a lot about the placement of your 'free' fingers when in Sara-grip. You obviously need your gripping fingers, but for example the ring and pinky that usually sit in the small cup, are you flexible with them? Does their position allow you to rotate your wrist comfortably? A good test is to try an Earth Turn in Sara-grip - you'll see that it's really difficult to get the spin straight at first, but when you start to think about how your fingers are placed, the spin will become smoother, you will be able to get more pop, and you won't feel like you're having your hand twisted off. Perhaps a bit too much detail for right now, but was just a thought.

Aww - that's very helpful!!  Thank you!

I need more tips and guidance like this.  So many of the tutorials just show how the tricks are done.  But very few mention the subtle nuances like finger positions or what to look for or think about, etc.  Good tips - thank you very much.  If there are any links or references to other stuff like this - I'm all ears (or eyes, as the case may be).  I'm trying to learn all I can so I don't develop any bad habits and am starting with techniques and tricks that will set me up for future success.

The Void

Quote from: Fireproof on 24 November, 2014, 17:20:56So many of the tutorials just show how the tricks are done.
So many tutorials are not tutorials, but demonstrations.

There are lots of tips like this scattered about this forum - search for your trick name in question, or have a look at http://www.kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1082.0.html
or, *cough*, my sig. ;)[nb]Subtlety fail?[/nb]
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Fireproof

Thanks Void.  Agreed - many are just demonstrations.

I will continue to search the forum.  I do want to order your books.  I am in the U.S. - where is the best/easiest way to order your books to have them shipped to Texas, USA?

donald grant

Hi Fireproof

Welcome to the forum; I'm sure the lovely guys at kendama usa will be able to supply you with the books stateside....

http://shop.kendamausa.com/collections/accessories/kendama-books

Cheers, D

Fireproof

Quote from: donald grant on 25 November, 2014, 11:01:10
Hi Fireproof

Welcome to the forum; I'm sure the lovely guys at kendama usa will be able to supply you with the books stateside....

http://shop.kendamausa.com/collections/accessories/kendama-books

Cheers, D

Ooh - great.  Thanks!