News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Help with Bird and balance in Lighthouse?

Started by hater, 07 November, 2011, 16:20:14

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexSmith

I love the size of this thread.

I think that bird and lighthouse are two very 'defining' moments in your progression of tricks. In the big picture these tricks come very early on and ultimately aren't too tough once you have practised them a lot, but at the time they represent some major hurdles.
Birds you need much more control and accuracy in your movements that simple juggling, and lighthouse is the introduction to balancing tricks.

Great work getting these down guys, and like it's been said many times before, practise! It's what kendama is all about.

hater

Now the thread is shorter, but I love to see how my little contribution to this forum is growing so much  ;D

hater

Now that I can land Bird consistenly, I need some tips for Bird fly over the valley. I haven't been able to land it a single time, anyone have good tips for this?

Im still learning to balance an land lighthouse, but at least I can land it some times now :D

Peter

Bird over the valley: well, I am not a consistency pro myself with this trick. Maybe, someone else will add on to my following proposals...

1. Try to think about not moving the ball at all. The hole should be on the bottom of the ball. And remain there. That's it.
2. Just move the ken. This implies, that you throw up the ball very straight upwards.
3. Knees! Knees upwards, for throwing the ball, Knees downwards, for catching it. And in between, move the ken.
4. Balance: Try to memorize a stable angle, where the ball lays on the rims, small and big. Just walk around with the ball balancing in your neighborhood, this should give you a good feeling of where the tipping point is. If available: use public transport for balancing both birds. Bus, trains, anything ;-) If not available, go to the next playground, and try to balance the birds on the swing. Balance the small cup bird while holding the ken just on the index finger (loosen the grip, on finger by each other, until you don't hold the ken at all, just balancing it). try o balance the bird on your forehead, on you big toe, on your shoulder, your knee, anything... you will soon recognize, that this goddamn ball glues to the ken anytime. And then: you have got it!

Move on, just do it!

Kens

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to kendama. I bought an Ozora 3 weeks ago and I feel like lighthouses are impossible for me. I've been practicing almost everyday since I got it.  It feels like the tama is too slippery for it. Do you guys have any advice on lighthouses? Thanks.

Bad Wolf

I started with an Ozora as well. One way I practiced Lighthouses was I would hold the tama and just put the ken on it. I would then (try my best) to walk forward, turn around, and walk back.

It helped me get a feel of how the ken would move around on the tama. hope this helps!

Kens

Are you really comfortable with lighthouses now?

Bad Wolf

I would say so. You'll only start feeling more confident when you start sticking em on the landing. Of course "KNEES" but another rule I go by when catching Lighthouses is "DANCE." Because once you catch it, you gotta bend those knees and start the balance dance.

BKA

Hi Kens,
Welcome to the forum. We merged your topic with an older one that has some helpful suggestions. Have a read back through it from page 1.
Cheers,
BKA

MrMrG3AR

So recently I've finally been able to land a few lighthouses. I have even spiked it after. I'm very pleased that I've even been able to do it once, but I can't keep it consistent, and this is frustrating me. I know a few tips, of course the "knee's" goes without saying, and also looking at the tip of the ken spike.
My ken wobbles on top and whenever I try to correct it, it simply slides right off.
I've been using an ozora white rabbit, and a tribute bamboo to practice.
Please, any other tips would be great!

Thanks in advance

~Greg

The Void

Hi Greg, and welcome to the forum. i've merged your thread with another one. Have a read back through it, as it has some very helpful advice on Lighthouse. Give those tips a try, and then come back and let us know how you're getting on. Good luck!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

andi_squire

i've been learn lighthouse effectively for 3-4 days, i already landed a few times but never more than 3 sec, then i try put myself on video and find out what's the problem, then i found some issues :
1. it's realy hard to pull the ken straightly
2. sometimes the string and bead are come out from the hole of tama after i pull the ken
for those issues i put my ring finger in the bottom of the tama (hole is on the top) and touch the string a little bit just to make the ken more straight and the string and bead not slip away through the hole

i still can't make the ken stable for more than 3 sec ,is there any advice?

The Void

If your kendama is quite new, the paint is probably quite slippery. Lighthouses will get a little easier as you wear it in.

Dip deep, straighten up immediately. If it still comes up tilted, try pulling up *slightly* away from the spike.

Practise!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Jagmcool

So I'm new to Kendama (I'm from the YoYoExpert community) but I'm having trouble landing the ken on the tama because it seems so slick. I have a Ozora. Is there some sort of technique? (Other than bending knees) any help is appreciated! :)

JamesFM

Hey Jag! this is James May from YYE  :D

How new is your kendama? Usually it will be grippier once broken in. Also, practice just dropping the ken onto the tama from an inch or 2 up. This will help develop your balance for lighthouse / lunar. I can barely catch a lighthouse from dropping an inch above, so Im not the best person to be giving advice.

As always more knees.
Try holding the tama with a lighter grip. Seems to help the ken balance.