News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

A whole bunch of random questions.

Started by mlarinen, 29 December, 2014, 14:00:32

Previous topic - Next topic

mlarinen

1. Is there an actual JKA rule book? Their website is less than forthcoming about such formalities.

2. How many grips are used for JKA certification? Is it just the four ones mentioned on this website and others, or are there more obscure ones as well?

3. In comps and gradings, is it necessary for an approved kendama to be in it's original setup? For example, I love my Ozora enjyu but it lost its JKA sticker. If I buy a new one for official use, can I change the tama for my old one that has been worn in? I realize it will be difficult to for any grading or competition officials to inspect it though...

4. How many makers of hardwood kendamas are there? I know of Krom, Terra and Ozora (and I believe Shin Fuji produces a keyaki kendama as well?). I absolutely love my hardwoods!

5. I got five kendamas atm, and all are nattys. Would you say there are many tricks that are more difficult to achieve with a natty tama? I mean, out of my five kendamas I can only land a lightouse on one of them and that's probably because it has been used and abused, and so it's full of dents in all sizes which makes it less smooth. Should I consider buying a painted tama?

/rant over.

The Void

1. For examinations, yes. I've never seen it.
2. Secret Grip is used in Dan gradings.
3. If an examiner can not determine exactly what kendama it is, then it may be rejected. Same goes for condition. It is at the examiner's discretion.
4. Sunrise, Kendama Europe, Kendama USA....
5. If you've never tried a painted kendama, you'll never know what you think of them. Obviously you like natties, which is fine, but perhaps the time is right for you to try a painted tama, to see what you think. (If you do, use it a lot before you form an opinion. Let it wear in.)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

mlarinen

Is there anything you don't know? Geez... Thanks for reply! :D

I kinda forgot about Kendama USA, but I actually ordered two padauks just last week. My memory isn't what it ought to be.

As for the grips, secret grip is fingers on the cups with the spike almost touching the webbing between the thumb and index finger, right? What tricks is it used for?

Kev

Quote from: mlarinen on 29 December, 2014, 14:00:32
4. How many makers of hardwood kendamas are there? I know of Krom, Terra and Ozora (and I believe Shin Fuji produces a keyaki kendama as well?). I absolutely love my hardwoods!

Hi [user]mlarinen[/user], I realise you probably mean 'unusual/interesting/different hardwoods' but just to mention a common misconception - beech and birch (aka the most common woods used for kendamas) ARE both hardwoods.

I've never to my knowledge seen a softwood kendama, I wonder if anyone knows of any?

mlarinen

Kev: glad you pointed that out, even though I think it is such a common misconception (as you said) that everyone ought to understand what I'm asking! :D

I never think of birch or beech as hardwoods though. I play the castanets, and they would never be made of such (relatively) soft woods. At least most of the European varietes are usually on the softer end of the Janka scale.

As for proper softwood kendamas I remember seeing a dama made out of yew - though it is one of the harder softwoods. No wonder people get confused sometimes... ;)

the milky oolong

Quote from: Kev on 29 December, 2014, 17:06:06
beech and birch (aka the most common woods used for kendamas) ARE both hardwoods.

I was wondering this myself. Though I only studied half a year of Forest Management, my botany lecturer was pretty adamant about hardwoods being from the angiosperms and softwoods from the gymnosperms, which unfortunately for the marketing strategies means birch, beech, ash, sweet chestnut, sycamore, etc are all hardwoods (this also means that if I trim a kendama shape out of a bit of balsa wood, it's also a hardwood).

Do other 'hardwood' kendamas undergo any heat treating or other such hardening processes to justify the name?
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate