News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Terry Pratchett

Started by LarsVegas, 12 March, 2015, 22:43:14

Previous topic - Next topic

LarsVegas

I don't know how many of you read the Discworld novels by Terry Pratchett (and his other books). Looking at the members of this forum, I'd guess there must be a few.

I stumbled upon my first Discworld book more than 20 years ago and ever since, I've been collecting, reading, playing (computer games), watching (movies) and and and. But most of all I've been thinking and laughing about what I read. He is by far my most favourite author. I had my first book signed by him at a public reading (actually he told us that he believed we all can read so he mustn't and continued to tell stories for more than two hours - hilarious) and it's a cherished treasure to me.

So I was more than shocked to hear about his death in today's news (even on German radio!). Of course it was clear that this day would come more sooner than later, given that he was seriously ill. But nevertheless, that's very very sad. I'm happy that there are still some books I don't know, but the number is small and then there won't be any more new books.

For those of you who haven't read his books - start reading, you'll need some time.
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion

The Void

My friend Steve leant me The Colour Of Magic in... about '85. I read the next 2 or three as soon as I could, but then somehow I stopped, only returning to them after 15 years or so. Always looked forward to the next one coming along ever since then. He was great at nailing the foibles of people, whichever "...world" they inhabited. Very good at underlining hypocrisy. Ave atque vale, Pterry.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

shalafi

I started reading them something like 7 years ago. And I was lucky to be fluent enough in English at the time to read them in the original form.

A friend gave me "The last hero" which is not precisely at the beginning of the series, but I got fascinated by the characters and the style.

Great loss. Let's enjoy the legacy of Sir Terry Pratchett.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

the milky oolong

As a child Terry Pratchett might as well have been all of literature; I managed to read his first 24 (yes, twenty-four) novels within a few years, then kind of moved onto other things. His ability to make the dominant (and less dominant) cultural, philosophical and spiritual beliefs accessible and enjoyable for children (or those not up for Nietzsche's Jenseits von Gut und Böse) is pretty remarkable. Whenever I visit my parents, I still root out an old Pratchett novel of mine at random, and usually end up reading it well into the early hours. He is most probably the reason why I decided to study English Literature, though I'm sure I was too snobbish and insecure at university as to quote him as a major part of my 'reading'. Rest up, Terry!
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate