News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Video Proposal: How To Celebrate A Successful Line

Started by the milky oolong, 18 March, 2015, 14:57:56

Previous topic - Next topic

the milky oolong

Worthy, oh so worthy BKA members and BKA forum users and especially those who are both:

I was talking yesterday with Berlin Kendama's [user]Peter W.[/user], also a forum member, about the direction that 'celebration' has been taking over the past year or so on the global kendama scene. To our joint dismay, we came to the conclusion that, far from the weirdness of Olympic runners's elaborate 'signature gestures', or even the wholly exaggerated jubilation of American footballers, putting the 'full-stop' at the end of a victorious paragraph of a prosaic kendama line has begun to take one of three common and inflexible forms:

1. Throw kendama on the hard ground.
2. Land an Earth Turn Whirwind.
3. Miss an Earth Turn Whirlwind but leave it in the clip to show you tried it.

That depressing fact delivered, we can take faith that we've already seen great examples of other ways it can be done! Remember [user]Void[/user] shooting his ken out of his own hand with a mime artist's pistol(4a)? Remember Nic Stodd high-fiving that passing woman (4b) in his fantastic Edit? That's more like it! Now that we are more than 1000 (one thousand) members and truly international, I propose to make an Edit with a bit of a difference, an edit where the infinite variety of kendama tricks is matched by the infinite variety of ways to celebrate having successfully linking those tricks together. A few other examples? Just to get us up to 10?

5. Leave camera rolling. Get out your phone. Call your mum on speaker-phone and tell her, without explaining anything else. Record her reaction.
6. Move over to your computer, turn speakers up, play this (copyright required):
7. Wrap the kendama back up and say, while looking into the camera, in a very glib tone, 'well, I'm tremendously happy with that!'
8. Make a speech of acknowledgement (if in doubt, use this template http://www.wikihow.com/Give-a-Thank-You-Speech)
9. Take out a Maria Mancini Edition Special 'Magic Mountain' cigar, cut off tip, light with match, hold pose for 3 seconds. (Over 18s only)
10. Have your cameraman wrap you in a mylar space blanket (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_blanket), ply you with energy drinks, while you give a detailed description of how emotionally and physically draining the line was, between joyfully exhausted gasps.

Though these are, of course, intentionally all very daft and a bit facetious examples, I'm sure there are thousands of ways we could celebrate a successful line, more in the vein of the two real examples given above (4a and 4b), for the sake of variety, for the sake of fun, for the possibly interesting reactions that may come out of people seeing you landing a balance line then having your entire crew give you 'the bumps', one for every minute the camera was rolling (11). I thought this might be a nice idea and could include pretty much every player who can land a combination of two tricks on camera, would be relatively easy to do, and might be a change from hammering away at Outlink/EC/Collab tricks. If not, I might make a shortened version to post up on the FB community pages.

Anyone game?

TMO
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

The Void

If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Dimensions

Or you could go on a rampage...

...Or spend half your edit dancing...

Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

Kev

You've had some priceless reactions over the years Rob, always good to see the relief/enthusiasm!

That whole throwing the kendama to the floor thing always seems a bit silly to me. I think it started with skateboarders doing it and has spread, pretty wack then, pretty wack now if you ask me, but hey I'm old'sc(h)ool. ;)

The Void

"I propose to make an Edit"
To be clear, are you proposing that *you* will make it? I'll submit something if so.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

the milky oolong

I proposed the edit, and would put it out if enough people were interested. Doesn't seem like it. No problem, was just an idea.
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

LarsVegas

Milky, I would love to see it. I didn't react because I didn't understand that you wanted to get feedback first.

Apart from that, this throwing away always irritated me - from the very first time I saw it. It's just not the way to respect your tool. It might be a cheap tool, but when I find a Kendama that really suits me, I'd rather take care of it and avoid damaging the material (beyond what happens anyway). Imagine a formula one driver crashing his car every time he wins ... (not that I'm interested in formula one, I was just looking for a more expensive tool).
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion

Dimensions

This isn't exactly a celebration but this is why you don't throw you kendama on the floor:
(Ending)
Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

The Void

Kev

Ha ha! That's ace Void.

Hello everyone and Happy New Year! - been a while for me since I've been on here or picked up a kendama - been very busy with work (boo) and a trip to Iceland (yay!).

Here's hoping for more clicking soon,

:)

shalafi

That's awesome

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

jakub.zahumensky

The way I see it, people disrespecting their dama by smashing in on hard floor don't deserve my respect either. Looking at Void's timelined celebrations, I seem to be stuck somewhere between 2008 and 2010 :D I like celebrating with whatever comes naturally, go with the feelings. I danced, I jumped, I did silly faces, I threw stuff - on bed, grass etc.