News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

A danger for the collection

Started by HansNickmans, 23 April, 2015, 10:01:20

Previous topic - Next topic

HansNickmans

Next to my kendamas, I have a collection of bilboquet/balero/cup n ball toys brought from vacation by friends. A while back I got a very small cup n ball from Chili. A while back I noticed some sawdust beneath it, and I dismissed it as something which came off the cupboard it was in (it's an old liqour cabinet). Last week I noticed that there were several small holes in the cup n ball, and that there was even more sawdust. After cleaning it up, I noticed something moving and retreating within one of the small holes. Using a small needle I was able to get it out and it turned out to be a small beetle, living in my cup and ball, burrowing through it.

I already checked all my kendamas (and the cabinet), and I don't think any of them were affected (probably because the wood has been treated).

Not something you immediately think of, but be careful out there ;-) !
Kendama Belgium!

BenBenVx

Aha! That's crazy man! Keep your eyes peeled!!

the milky oolong

That's a rough deal, Hans, a similar thing once happened to me with a vintage Hammond organ - stored it over winter in a garage, by spring something had eaten all the interior wood! Glad to hear your collection is ok.
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

HansNickmans

I put the toy in a sealed bag, waiting to see if there were more...

Today there were six of those insect, crawling all over it. I wonder if there are more?
Kendama Belgium!

s070s

that's a insane story....
i'm having nightmares tonight

Kengeaa

I can just imagine somebody going on a gap year and coming back to a collection that has been devoured by a beetle, a jammers nightmare...