News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

The ever popular "Today I..." thread

Started by BatDancer, 04 July, 2011, 21:24:24

Previous topic - Next topic

The Void

Nice one Rhys. Seems that catching into candle grip is a) catching on, and b) something I need to work on. Maybe you and Rob can compare notes at BKO.... :)
Today I had a practice of the Spikedama tricks.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

rhys_goes_peace

Quote from: The Void on 02 May, 2017, 20:16:07
Nice one Rhys. Seems that catching into candle grip is a) catching on, and b) something I need to work on. Maybe you and Rob can compare notes at BKO.... :)
Today I had a practice of the Spikedama tricks.
Thanks, Void! :) I'm going to work on doing a one turn, then catching it to candle. Can't wait to meet you, Dimensions and all the other players at BKO!
Check out my instagram: @rhysgoespeace

shalafi

Today I tried a new trick, and laced it quite easily.

Nothing spectacular, but it's a type of tricks that have been eluding me for a while.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

shalafi

Quote from: rhys_goes_peace on 02 May, 2017, 19:19:25
Sorry for not being active on the forum lately - couldn't think of anything to post! Anyway, I landed these two tricks a few days ago (of course on my Royal): [instagram]

Good ones! I find candle grip flips particularly difficult myself.

The Void

Well done guys.
Today I practiced 6th Dan, and missed 1 Bird too many. Oh well.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

John

@shalafi Very nice. Been working on those as well recently, got some good tips from Void and hope they'll be as good as yours sometime soon!

I spent a good hour today filming for a collaboration trick, and not landing it. Got close a couple of times, but now have to make a decision whether I persist with it or simplify it...

shalafi

thanks @John!
I'd say try a simplified version first, once you have than in the can, go for the complete one :)

shalafi

Today I played for a bit with done trick variations and combinations. I did a video of the one I liked the most

The Void

Today I went to the juggling club, and met up with @S.S.Clarence , Barney & @fuverdred , who all took their first gradings. 1st Kyus all round! (Guys, I'll sort out the admin posts on that tomorrow.) Great to meet new local players.

Info on stuff I mentioned, for those of you who are interested/available:
BKO this weekend: http://kendama.co.uk/bko Definitely come if you can. Even if you decide not to enter, you'll have a blast meeting a whole bunch of other players.
Collaboration video: http://kendama.co.uk/collab All levels of skill and silliness welcome!
Member Map: http://kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,823.0.html More pins= more friends!

One way or another, see you again soon.
Cheers,
Void

The Void

Oh, and I forgot: Earlier today I also finally managed to get a ken grip Base Cup Scoop Up > Curl > In.
Although, now that I know I can do it, that will make the misses more frustrating. :)
*whipcrack* Work harder, Void!

fuverdred

(yester)day I got my first kyu grade, cheers @The Void !

Also the thing I was talking about was the Dzhanibekov effect, http://i.imgur.com/taJtuTe.gif

The Void

Whoah, that's freaky! (Reference: We were talking about axes[nb]Plural of "axis", not plural of "axe".[nb]Okay, who else is now thinking up trick variants of Axe?  :)[/nb][/nb]of rotation, and whether Tre Flips turned in two or three of them.)

KenSan

Not today but last Saturday (6th May) I did a 30min Kendama teaching after school activity for my sons Japanese school.

I had about 11 spare old kendama and made up some boards with the basics in Japanese and English. My wife and I thought we would have a handfull of kids interested, but ended up with about 15 kids and most of their parents. Needless to say it was organised chaos!

One of the older boys had actually recently taken up kendama and had a nicely beaten "Royal" blue kendama. He was only at the basic "around the..." stages and had trouble spiking. But after I corrected his grip and gave him a few pointers like "more knees" he was pretty chuffed with his improvement even in half an hour.

Quite a few of the kids had their own rather unused looking TK16s and Ozoras, with one even having a very under used OG sky blue oz.

As I said we just did the basic big cup with minimal success, then small with even less success and then tomeken spike with little success. However after the activity the parents and teachers were all really pleased and said they would like to try and organise another session! My wife also received several emails the next day saying that their kids had picked up kendamas in the morning and were merrily clicking away!

3rd place @ BKO 2016 Adv. Division. :-)

The Void

30 minutes really isn't very long, after all the basic grip, stance and knees info, to teach much. So well done on getting people going, and making a few potential addicts, by the sound of it.
Nice boards too.

shalafi

Nicely done @KenSan