News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

The ever popular "Today I..." thread

Started by BatDancer, 04 July, 2011, 21:24:24

Previous topic - Next topic

The Void

Oh, and I ran a workshop. Only 3 people, but I showed them all the Kyu tricks, and they all got most of them.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

donald grant

Looks like it was a fine and sunny BJC, Void!  Sadly didn't make it down this year, but have been out playing in the forest and on the beach the last few days.  Landed slipgrip - clifftop - slipgrip - lighthouse  - trade, and slip- orbit earthturn -to slip, amongst other techy things.  And on the strange side, pinkie earthturn over the valley pinkie was a weird one... :)

The Void

Well done, @donald grant , although I don't understand that last one. Perhaps I'm being dim.

Mostly prepping papers and doing webmastering today (whilst listening to cricket). I did manage to nip out to the garden for a little play of the BKO list.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

John

I've not really done much since I plopped out of Outlink, it was great motivation for me to practice new stuff and challenge myself and I find myself at a bit of a loss now! Been thinking about a collab trick too, but with no HD equipment I need to think about what I can do. Either way, need some new personal goals to set for myself. 1st Dan is one of them...

The Void

Yesterday I spent 7.5 hours travelling to play one game of KEN. Well, not really just that, and it was great to meet and chat to @ThaCuzin . And also to hear of cheap flights to Bulgaria. Hmmm.... Maybe.... :-)

The Void

Today I did a few short record runs at the juggling club. I'll post when I sort the files out.

The Void

@John
Quote from: John on 16 April, 2017, 16:08:58
I've not really done much since I plopped out of Outlink, it was great motivation for me to practice new stuff and challenge myself and I find myself at a bit of a loss now! Been thinking about a collab trick too, but with no HD equipment I need to think about what I can do.
Hang on, this http://kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1022.msg28268.html#msg28268 was 720p. Webcam? I'll bring a cam to Lestival, so have a trick prepped, if you want me to film it for you.
QuoteEither way, need some new personal goals to set for myself.
Break a record!
Quote1st Dan is one of them...
Okay then, practise one good run of Moshi Kame per day between now and the 29th. (Breathe!)

Quote from: donald grant on 11 April, 2017, 20:03:17Landed slipgrip - clifftop - slipgrip - lighthouse  - trade
Just had a play in the garden, and got a lesser variant: SGS-CT-LH-Trade. Satisfying.

John

@The Void I'm very surprised that video is even remotely good quality! It was recorded on my phone's "selfie" camera, indoors and in the evening. I'll have to have a play with it. If I turn it around and use the external camera, the quality is good but I have no idea what it's recording, and it shuts off after 2 and a half minutes.... hmmm. I do indeed have a trick in mind, might take me a few hours to get it though...

On topic, I've been doing swirls so much that my left index finger is all plastered up. :)

John

KenSan

@John swirls have been my nemesis for quite sometime too. And having crusty eczema fingers doesnt help :-\

However lately I seem to have cracked them somewhat and with less agrivation to my fingers.

Timing is obviously very important but I also found that you dont need to hit the string over your finger as hard as possible to get the momentum going. Gently does it, and youll be suprised at the results. Hopefully a nice clean swirl!
3rd place @ BKO 2016 Adv. Division. :-)

John

Thanks for the advice @KenSan! I also found that doing them at the bottom of the index finger (nearer the knuckle) allows for a smoother exit. I'm having a bit of a break from them now so my finger can heal up, and should probably start looking at my collaboration trick, which is going to take some work...

donald grant

Unbelievably, found a couple of kendamas at a car boot sale yesterday (Red Ozora and a KC Pocket).  Had to land a few tricks for the guy on the stall before making the purchase... (he asked :) ! )

The Void

Bargains, I trust, Donald?
Today I had a bash at the Spikedama list. Damn, that scoop is awkward. Also, a beginner kendamaist was at the club, so I coached her to her first Around The Village.

The Void

Stuck doing mailserver change tests all day today. No click. Bad[nb]Or "no click", for anyone who remembers that DCA craze.[/nb].

rhys_goes_peace

Sorry for not being active on the forum lately - couldn't think of anything to post! Anyway, I landed these two tricks a few days ago (of course on my Royal): [instagram]
Check out my instagram: @rhysgoespeace