News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

New Kendama

Started by Canadapro, 07 September, 2015, 01:55:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadapro

Bump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kev

They're all well known for tackiness as far as I understand.

The Cook Custom and the Sweets are painted with a clear coat and the krom has rubberised paint.

I've not played a cook custom but all the sweets I've played are really quite tacky.

The krom is rubberised paint so is likely to be very tacky - possibly too tacky for some tricks.

However, - I've got one of the kroms on order as I couldnt resist the orange / purple colourway.

Will let you know how it plays when I've got it.

Canadapro

I have to ask, how can it be too tacky

Kev

If a tama is really too tacky lots of tricks aren't possible. Slip on Stick is the first example that springs to mind but there are countless others. (Any trick where the ken needs to slide on the tama as part of the trick or for achieving the balance / adjustment of the balance I'd say).

Everyone has a different view on it of course, and is very much entitled to do so. My personal view is that anything that's significantly tackier than a BKA / JKA approved kendama is cheating in that I don't think you can give someone the same credit for landing a multiple rotation trick on a super sticky tama as you can on a JKA / BKA approved tama.

Having said that, a super sticky tama is definitely a valuable training tool - it reduces the difficulty on lots of harder tricks so you can get a feel for them and (again in my view), if you then move those skills on to a 'proper' tama then you can truly say you have landed or can do the trick. Oversize kendamas also offer this benefit too.

Dont forget that most good kendamas become stickier through play - there is something to be said for playing lots and enjoying the feel of the the tama wearing in and becoming its best.

If you think landing a trick on an easier kendama is cool then thats fine, it's only a game and we are all here to have fun after all!

I've ordered my krom because I love the colour, if I'd had the choice of getting it in standard paint I probably would have instead as I already have a couple of larger kendamas for making learning easier. That said, it's will be fun to have, to help get my eye in for multiple lunar flips etc which are currently beyond me on a regular tama.

If you want to try out a super sticky at a low cost then I started a thread ages ago that crops up from time to time and gives you a very cheap solution.

See here:

http://www.kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1013.msg12531.html#msg12531

Give it a try!

Im expecting the krom to feel like this, anyone correct me?

:)

Canadapro

That's basically what I expect [emoji23]. I'll try that before I end up ordering my krom. Thanks

Canadapro

Ended up getting a Krom rubber. Definitely tacky, but not like the balloon trick. Great for getting the hang of balance tricks.

Kev

Interesting. I've just got a notification of a missed parcel, I'm guessing that's my Krom Rubber. Will let you know my thoughts when I collect it!

What colour did you go for?

Canadapro

I got the sea foam and black.

Kev

Nice choice!

Well I've played my KROM rubber for a while now, overall I think it's a really useful tool for practicing with.

I was surprised to find that it's not even as sticky as some well worn in painted kendamas I've used - which was a relief to be honest - it still has a bit of slip but it perhaps slows down that moment between maintaining a balance and a fall just a little to make it more forgiving.

So it's a kind of frustration reliever when learning new tricks which is a good thing for extra hard trick or for when practicing when you're tired or not in the zone. It certainly still take a lot of skill to use. Definitely recommend having one in the collection.

After jamming it for a while, I did have to swap the ken and string for an Ozora ken and string. Although I have other KROM's where I really like the weight, feel and balance; this particular ken felt a bit light for me and I can't seem to get on with round section strings - maybe it's just what I'm used to but Ozora flat ribbon string all the way for me!

It will be interesting to see how well it wears in - it's already had quite a beating.

Canadapro

Mine has taken a beating as well. I need to swap the ken because I agree it's far too light, and the string is awful. So overall, I do enjoy it tho