News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

British Kendama Open 2017

Started by Maicodama, 09 February, 2017, 15:52:26

Previous topic - Next topic

The Void

Details of the freestyle comp?
Slaydogs & Sweets Prime are both larger than competition size, aren't they? Well, that's me out then. Cheers.

Beginners:
That trick is Flying Top, not Spinning Top. Spinning Top is a different trick. I believe there are books available with trick names in...
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Maicodama

Really?
They've used these at KWC
Primes are comp ready as well.
Apologies on the trick names :P
Instagrams
@project.ark
@maico.ps
@eurodama_

The Void

Bigger kendamas are easier to use. I've always thought it daft to allow different sized kendamas in a comp, so I never have. (Except where this is taken into account in the judging). I don't want to enter a comp where my opponent can gain an advantage by their choice of prop. So I won't.
Your comp, your rules - fine. I'll be at the back of the hall, doing grading exams. :)

May I suggest adding the tricklist names as text to the first post?
Quote from: Maicodama on 09 February, 2017, 15:52:26Freestyle:
For the first time freestyle is available for anyone to enter.
Not true. There have been either Best Trick or 7ToSpike freestyle divisions every year so far, which were open to everyone to enter. Please change that to "timed freestyle" to make it factually correct. Thanks.

Looking forward to seeing everyone down in Exeter.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

rhys_goes_peace

Is there any sort of age restriction to enter?
Check out my instagram: @rhysgoespeace

KenSan

Ha Ha about time!!

Looking forward to this.

Thinking Id probably stand the best chance in intermediate, but most of advanced is doable if I ride my luck like last year ;D

@Maicodama I guess mixed dams are also fine ie. I have an RWB Classic with Sweets arctic cushion tama? Although I may go full JKA on yo asses! ::)
3rd place @ BKO 2016 Adv. Division. :-)

KenSan

@rhys_goes_peace I would say definitely not! But dont quote me on that!

KenSan

Also I didnt notice any Dawgs or primes in the vids!

KenSan

Rob @Dimensions will no doubt kill this on a fresh out the box Royal Kendama!

Dimensions

@KenSan that sounds like a fun challenge!
Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

Dimensions

I also have to agree with Void on the sizes, even slightly bigger is easier - I've been hitting some tricks on my musou for years but only now am hitting them on standard sizes, and a musou is smaller than a Slaydawg.
I still want to enter, I just think that even a smaller size up can give a player an unreasonable advantage
Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

shalafi

Just a note, the video is kind of confusing because the person doing the trick sometimes does some extra after. For a competition instructional video the tricks sound be perform as expected on the comp.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

Maicodama

The trick videos is just to show how the trick can be done (the trick is also named below). We don't really like the rigidness of it all so there we are. Basically just bringing to life the tricks that are on the list. @shalafi
Instagrams
@project.ark
@maico.ps
@eurodama_

Maicodama

Quote from: Dimensions on 12 March, 2017, 13:23:17
I also have to agree with Void on the sizes, even slightly bigger is easier - I've been hitting some tricks on my musou for years but only now am hitting them on standard sizes, and a musou is smaller than a Slaydawg.
I still want to enter, I just think that even a smaller size up can give a player an unreasonable advantage

Don't you have an xl ozora? I'd be interested to see how that plays
Instagrams
@project.ark
@maico.ps
@eurodama_

shalafi

Quote from: Maicodama on 15 March, 2017, 20:13:27
The trick videos is just to show how the trick can be done (the trick is also named below). We don't really like the rigidness of it all so there we are. Basically just bringing to life the tricks that are on the list. @shalafi
I know, we just have different points of view on what a video for a trick list should look like, which is fine, after all this is a "discussion" forum.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

Maicodama

Quote from: shalafi on 15 March, 2017, 20:22:00
Quote from: Maicodama on 15 March, 2017, 20:13:27
I know, we just have different points of view on what a video for a trick list should look like, which is fine, after all this is a "discussion" forum.

Agreed :). Noted though. This is a bit of a learning process for me too so any suggestions or thoughts really help.
Instagrams
@project.ark
@maico.ps
@eurodama_