News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

European Kendama Open 2017

Started by jakub.zahumensky, 18 April, 2017, 19:16:42

Previous topic - Next topic

jakub.zahumensky

I can see all the points you are raising. At the same time, I feel the general status among the beginners (real or false) is that they are shy to compete - I see it at the Prague kendama battles all the time. That being said, we (hereinafter meaning "Maico, Dario and me", unless specified otherwise) believe that the chance of a random juggler picking up a dama at the EJC and actually WANTING to compete after fiddling with the thing for three days is very low. I have suggested a Noob/Rookie list of 6 tricks from the "starter pack", I was shut down. Maybe this issue will be reopened?

We also believe that since this is the EUROPEAN open, not a small local affair, people need to push themselves, and as @johndmc said, go for the closest more difficult thing compared to their skill level. If people are no longer beginners after going at it for three months, they can join a tougher division - all the better in my view - it will push them and get hyped. Not everybody, of course. Last point, if you travel to EJC with the aim to compete, you have plenty of time to ascertain your skill and practice accordingly.

Every coin has two sides, even @shalafi 's 2 cent piece ;)

For comparison, here are two tricklists for the joint 2017 Czech and Slovak Kendama Championships (I am not sure, but it will be 1 on 1 knock out in all divisions):

Kids of 10 years and below
1 Velký pohárek (Big cup)
2 Malý pohárek (Small cup)
3 Střední pohárek (Base cup)
4 Svíčka (Candle)
5 Letadlo (Airplane)
6 Napíchnutí (Spike)
7 Swing in
8 Okolo japonska (Around Japan)
9 Okolo světa (Around World)
10 Maják (Lighthouse)

Beginners
1 Swing to candle
2 Around prefecture
3 Orbit
4 Jumping stick
5 Falling
6 Slip on stick
7 Knee bounce to big cup
8 Flying top
9 Earth turn
10 Hanging spike

shalafi

About the beginners bring shy, what my experience shows is that two IKOs run within the Dublin circus festival got 10 and 12 players, only 2 of them in advanced. This year it was a standalone event, only 5 people showed up, all entered advanced.

The level of interest required for going to a Kendama event takes the non-engaged people out. I'm sure we saw a similar trend on the BKO and EKO when they stopped being part of the BJC and EJC.

If an event is inside a bigger juggler event we should facilitate the entry for beginners, on a standalone event you can push the bar higher.

Just my opinion based on my -limited- experience running events.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

The Void

Quote from: jakub.zahumensky on 22 April, 2017, 14:33:45That being said, we (hereinafter meaning "Maico, Dario and me", unless specified otherwise) believe that the chance of a random juggler picking up a dama at the EJC and actually WANTING to compete after fiddling with the thing for three days is very low.
Hmmm, I've run EKOs at EJCs and I see exactly this happening, especially if there's been a workshop. Jugglers are especially open to picking up a new skill-toy. If you look back at the Beginner divisions from EJCs, most are "newbies from the week". Here are a few people who did exactly that:
Raul —> Later was Spanish Champion x3, ran 3 Irish Championships (so far)
Johnny > Later was European Champion
Marko -> Later was Finnish Champion, twice
Petra -> Later was German Champion
...so maybe it's worth trying to attract the nervous noobs to compete?

Well, anyway, you've made your choice, okay, let's see how it goes, and I hope it goes well. :)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

jakub.zahumensky

Quote from: The Void on 24 April, 2017, 17:16:05
Hmmm, I've run EKOs at EJCs and I see exactly this happening, especially if there's been a workshop. Jugglers are especially open to picking up a new skill-toy. If you look back at the Beginner divisions from EJCs, most are "newbies from the week". Here are a few people who did exactly that:
Raul —> Later was Spanish Champion x3, ran 3 Irish Championships (so far)
Johnny > Later was European Champion
Marko -> Later was Finnish Champion, twice
Petra -> Later was German Champion
...so maybe it's worth trying to attract the nervous noobs to compete?

Well, anyway, you've made your choice, okay, let's see how it goes, and I hope it goes well. :)
Thank you Void :) I think I will reopen this topic with the guys later. Since it seems that the Newbie section will be most relevant for people who first pick up playing kendama on site, this has time to deal with later. I have already proposed an easy short tricklist as well.

On another note, the NEW WEBSITE is going LIVE today!!! It already is, actually... Live, I mean... go check it out and register, it will help us a bunch (you can modify the details later). There are some glitches still, we are fixing them as we speak. :)
http://kendama-open.eu/

The Void

Good website. Simple, but informative. Looking forwards to the trick videos, and definition of "EKO-allowed kendama".
Cheers.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

shalafi

Quote from: The Void on 28 April, 2017, 12:52:15
Good website. Simple, but informative. Looking forwards to the trick videos, and definition of "EKO-allowed kendama".
Cheers.
I like it too. I think the countdown is a cool way to get people hyped :)

jakub.zahumensky

Quote from: The Void on 28 April, 2017, 12:52:15
Cheers.

Quote from: shalafi on 28 April, 2017, 13:11:58
I like it too. I think the countdown is a cool way to get people hyped :)

Glad you guys like it :) Videos out soon. The EKO-allowed damas will be "whatever fits in the box" :) What box? The EKO dama-checking box ;) More info on that soon.

In the meantime, head over to https://shop.spreadshirt.com/MephobiaDesigns/ for EKO merch - from t-shirts and hoodies through mugs and water bottles all the way to dog bandanas! And while you're there, also check out other awesome stuff that is nowhere else to be found!

For black logo use this link: https://shop.spreadshirt.com/MephobiaDesigns/eko-A108315181
For white logo use this link: https://shop.spreadshirt.com/MephobiaDesigns/eko+black-A108315178
huge range of colors available

Note: the EKO merch is time-limited and will be available only until the end of August, so don't hesitate!

jakub.zahumensky

The tricklist videos will be out in the next couple of days! :)

jakub.zahumensky

BAM! Beginner tricklist video is out! Intermediate tomorrow ;)

s070s

so how many people are going ?
i'm trying to fine a good way to get there, but its all very expensive
and it looks like the other dutchies are a no show again

are any of you guys staying on the site or in a hotel? 

The Void

Finally confirmed I'm coming. I'll be in a hotel - don't know which one, someone's booking it for me.

jakub.zahumensky

Quote from: The Void on 11 May, 2017, 11:32:12
Finally confirmed I'm coming.
Awesome! Are you practicing diligently? ;) Pro tricklist video should be out on Saturday.

Quote from: s070s on 11 May, 2017, 10:59:39

I am staying in a tent on site, like last year. Don't know how many people will show up... So far, only a handful have registered on the kendama-open.eu website.

The Void

No, the trick lists weren't released in time for my practice timescale, so I won't be entering.

Dimensions

I'm camping too (if bringing a tent is an issue, I have a 4-man), but will be arriving Monday
Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

shalafi

Quote from: s070s on 11 May, 2017, 10:59:39
so how many people are going ?
i'm trying to fine a good way to get there, but its all very expensive
and it looks like the other dutchies are a no show again

Is it expensive? I recall Poland and Lublin being quite cheap back when the last EJC was there.

Anyway, as it is an odd year, I won't be attending. I have my hopes for 2018, which is an even year :)