News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

KenGriffin Summer Battle II - June 24th

Started by shalafi, 04 May, 2017, 16:55:04

Previous topic - Next topic

shalafi

All the details: http://kendama-ireland.org/kengriffin-battle-ii-irish-cup/

We'll be doing some jam in the beautiful Father Collins Park on June 24th.

There will be a Gloken Cup style competition as well where we will be using this year's tricks (up to level 5)

We are a very friendly bunch, come and join us!

Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

shalafi

The Void

It would be nice, but that's going to be my first weekend off between now and then. Have fun without me!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

shalafi

Great weather and lots of fun for a very informal event in the park.

Daniel, Lucas and Leo arrived a bit earlier, so we did some jamming on my backyard to warm up, then we picked Henry and headed for the park in an unbelievable weather.

Once at the park, we played a game of ken with the extra rule that once a trick is set, you pass the kendamas to the right. It made it really fun with comments like, mm, this is a very sticky kendama, I should go for this tricks, or the opposite... how am I going to do juggles with such a short sting!! Actually, we didn't even counted letters, just played for about 1 hour.

At 3, the grace period we agreed on for more people to show up ended, so we did the 1st round of the gloken-style cup. I easily landed 12 points, which looking at in backwards, could have been 14 or 15, but I wanted to play safe.

The second run of first round was very intense, everyone pushed hard to get more points and most of us did not improve our score, but since Leo was on 11 points, Henry and I at 12 and Lucas at 13, it was all about who was going to drop for the final. Daniel had the 1st slot quite cleared.

On the final round, I scored a whooping 45 points, which made me very happy, landing 4 level 3 and the rest level 2 and level 1 fillers. I should have landed at least a couple more level 2s, but I think 55 would have been my best possible run, so, very happy with the result.

Lucas landed 65 points, and Daniel did an amazing 124 104 points, including 2 level 5 and 2 level 4. Yes, it was on camera and will be uploaded hopefully soon you can see it in this thread.

To clean up, we got a few kids interested and they played a bit, some of them landing even spikes in just 15 minutes. I am considering running a workshop in the local community hub.

And yes, there were some prizes from the sponsors: Kendama.cz and Kendama.pl (You rock!)

All in all a fantastic day with lots of jamming... oh, man, it was way too long since I played kendma for 3 hours in a row with more people. I missed it SO much.

Still a small community, we may have 10 active players in total, but never manage to get all of them at once. Good point is that at least 2 or 3 of them are really motivated and pushing forward, which is great.

The Void

Thanks for the write-up. Congratulations on a good run, and having a fun-filled day.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

shalafi

Videos of the final round are up. Nowhere as impressive as the KWC but we tried our best and had fun

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhVFU1TMg_05dHFpo6lq-BWjyeThJGJYb

The Void

Well done everyone, and congrats Daniel.
Raul, remind me, what's 12 + 45? :P

shalafi

Quote from: The Void on 27 June, 2017, 22:43:47
Well done everyone, and congrats Daniel.
Raul, remind me, what's 12 + 45? :P
67 obviously, but only if it is my own score :)

In my defense I'd say that it does not impact the result.

If I say that I did it on purpose to see if people checked it, would you believe me? :-P

The Void

Quote from: shalafi on 27 June, 2017, 23:27:53If I say that I did it on purpose to see if people checked it, would you believe me? :-P
Sure. What do I win? :D

shalafi

Quote from: The Void on 27 June, 2017, 23:44:28
Quote from: shalafi on 27 June, 2017, 23:27:53If I say that I did it on purpose to see if people checked it, would you believe me? :-P
Sure. What do I win? :D
You win... An invitation to the Irish open of 2018 :-)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The Void