News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

World Kendama Championship, Japan, July 15th

Started by BKA, 06 April, 2012, 14:52:38

Previous topic - Next topic

The Void

If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

The Void

At airport, kendama to hand, but too tired to click....
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

AlexSmith

I just dropped off three friends at the airport (Rodney, Eric, Brett). They're boarding a plane as I type this, en route to Japan. I'm just a wee bit jealous...

So now it's almost 7 am. About time I went to sleep :(

The Void

Well after J & A decided to board the plane instead of having another cigarette, we all headed off. Flight dull and long, and sleepless for me. Veggie food good, coffee awful. Arrived at Kansai to find that KLM had managed to delay our luggage for a day. Luckily we both had a change of clothes and a toothbrush in our carry-on.

We were collected (late delivery of cases arranged) and whisked off to see Osaka castle, which was very cool. Then lunch and back to Yano-san's household, where we could relax for a while, click, and play a game of KEN. Meanwhile Colin wasn't when he was supposed to be, which confused us all for a while, but after that was sorted, we went out for a nice Indian meal.

Damn long day, time to crash.... Off to visit a school in the morning!

AlexSmith

Glad to hear you guys arrived safe! I got a text from Colin earlier this morning, he said he missed his flight but has another booked. Glad to hear he'll still make it in time haha.
Good luck to all of you, and have a good time while you're there!

The Void

K.Cima tweets:
"@shakemid: On Saturday, pre festa will be held at 城北市民学習センター . IMPORTANT The venue is different from kendama festa on Sunday. http://t.co/Yphfpk34 " <--- map link.

shalafi

Don't forget to promote our iOS and Android app there :)
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

The Void

I'll certainly try and find out for you, Sam. [re that other thread]
Yep, Raul!

Ah, some actual sleeeeeeep! Humanity restored.
Went off to the primary school to meet a class of 6 year-olds. Amazing to see their discipline and politeness, and excitement at seeing the foreign kendama players. Yano-San and Hidenori-San presented and introduced us, we did a few tricks, and helped to demo the Kyu tricks to them. The kids got to play a few games, and tried some v basic stuff... Whilst sitting down!  Then we had a class of 7 year olds, same drill, but slightly higher level of tricks for them.
Then it was lunch, then a visit to a temple, dinner/shopping expedition, and then off to the Friday night kendama session, where we met up with Shimadera-San and Akimoto-San and jammed/practised. Got some more secret japanese magic tips on a few tricks, and scooped a goldfish for the 3rd time ever. Also had a bit of a demo to/from a few more kids.
Evening meal, then back home to find....... Our luggage has arrived!! Thank goodness. Practice day tomorrow....

And so to bed, oyasumi nasai from hot sticky fabbo Osaka!

shalafi

looks like you are having a great time :)

Loved this: " excitement at seeing the foreign kendama players"
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

SamB

Good luck! Or... Well done! I'm very confused by the time difference.
Will you be at liberty to release some of the Japanese secrets?
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

The Void

What a day! A great gathering of players for the day, new friends to meet. Mongolians, Canadians and Swiss joined us, and later an American. General tricking in a medium conference room (with stage) before being given a run-through and specifics on tomorrow's 1-3 Dan trick list. Then there were 2 practice comps- 1 for Japanese players, and 1 for foreigners. I was pleased to make it through the first round (thus achieving a practice run of my ambition of being "not last"), and then I got through a second round too! Jeffrey has a big chunk of this on video, so that may see the light of day at some point. In the semi final, I ran into Doko, one of the really strong Mongolian players, and he put a stop to my run good and proper. I faced up to Jeffrey in the 3rd place playoff, and the fine fellow did me in. So 4th. I'm happy with that!

After that comp, there was a freestyle comp (a bit like we do the Best Trick, but slower paced). The Euro players voted on the best Japanese player, and vice versa. Alex wowed them with the bilbo.

Then there was an auction. I'll just say some Europeans left it very happy.

Then it was time for a change of venue, and we headed of to Kids Plaza ( where the comp is being held tomorrow). Colin showed up eventually! There was a little hanging around and playing, then some lugging around of planks of wood (which would shortly become a stage). At that point I was flagging a little, and was about to sit down, when Shimadera-San said Mr Maruishi (head of the JKA) would like to show you guys some special tricks. TO HELL WITH SITTING DOWN!!!!!!

Oh wow, that was a great session, he showed us some cool and original tricks, and what a great gentleman he is. A damn fine 68-yr old player. Once we had all worn each other out (did I mention it's Hot and Sticky here?), it was finally time for a rest and a quick bite to eat. I really needed that energy boost because then it was suddenly "20 minutes until grading time". Uh-oh, better warm up!

Mr Maruishi gave a short speech about the JKA and the visit from foreign players, then a quick summation of some details, and suddenly a bunch of us Atlantic-straddlers were all onstage in a line for a Moshi Kame test. I asked, and was allowed to wear headphones (The mighty Scaramanga Six, "Cursed" album, which is my usual moshi training audio choice).

Hajime!

I was on the end, next to Nicolas. Fairly early, I saw Alex drop, out of the corner of my eye. Awwwww, bro, I feel for you, but I've got to concentrate. I couldn't really see or hear past Nic, but I got the impression that after a while it was just me and him left. Come on, you can do this. Bloody well focus, boy. A photographer came and went. Me and Nic are still going, dropping in and out of phase. Someone said yes. Wait, Nic's stopped? They're saying my name. Again, everyone's looking at me. I'VE DONE IT! And so has Nic! 1000 Moshi Kames each. Woooo! Colin also made 528, I later heard.

Shaking and fraught, I just about get the message that we'll do the rest of the grading tomorrow due to fading light.

And so off to a welcome banquet straight away, my wobbly legs just about take me there, and it takes me at least half an hour to calm down. A pleasant evening, chatting with Hitomi via an amusingly odd translation app. And so back home.

And that was just the practice day! It was great to meet Eric, Brett, Rod, Colin, and so many Japanese players. And especially Mr Maruishi.

See my tweets for some pictures from today?

Can I fall over now please.

THWUNKKKK!

HansNickmans

This is so much fun to read! Thanks for keeping us all posted. I went over to your twitter for some photos, loved the title of your new purchase from the auction.
And congrats on the moshikame! I would have gone cross-eyed 900 moshikames earlier...
Kendama Belgium!

ChrisD

Great to hear it's all going so well for you Void.  May you scoop the lucky Goldfish tomorrow/today!

Chris

AlexSmith

Nice little recap, Void! I've been seeing Facebook posts and photos as the day progressed, looks like you're all having a fun time!

Craftybuddy

This is a great read, Void - thanks for the update and sharing the experiences with us. I can't wait to watch any videos that may be uploaded!!
I wish I were there with you...
Yoko