News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

World Kendama Championship, Japan, July 15th

Started by BKA, 06 April, 2012, 14:52:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Oase

Nice recap Void !!! it seams you guys had some great moments over there...waiting for some videos !!

The Void

Another amazing day. Arrived at the kids plaza to find it already thronging with players, and a large number of spectators too. Kids were dancing onstage. Hellos and greetings, and meeting more people. Met 3 guys who seemed very pleased to see me, but had no idea who they were. Then they showed me that they knew me via KendamApp, so that was cool. I later found out that they were the guys from Kendama Rock Cafe (find them on twitter). Hey, Basti's fought through his cough and made it here! Lots of photo taking throughout the day, and by the middle of the day, some kids were asking to have their pic taken with me. :-)

Signed up for the competition, (in a rather confused conversation), and somehow came away with a stopwatch and a towel as a result, and the mysterious number 44 on a piece of paper.

It wasn't too long before the comp got underway. Shimadera-San gave an opening speech welcoming everybody, including the foreign players. Then it was time for round 1. 2 pairs of opponents competed at the same time, since it was a big stage (and was necessary to get all the battles done quickly). So sometimes you didn't know which battle to watch. Ah, 44 is my position in the draw. That explains that. After a few rounds, my name was called. I'm up against a 13/14 year old with a higher grade than me. I think nerves were on my side, cos he probably should have had me, but I went through 2-0. "Not come last" - CHECK! Some of the other Westerners crashed out in the first round, and some went through: Jeffrey, Nic, Eric and me.

Next round, I'm up against the young girl who knocked Colin out. This time we were doing the same set of tricks, and she missed ones that I'm sure were well within her grasp. Nerves again, I guess. 2-0 to me again. Woo. No such luck for Eric and Jeff, but Nic's through with me to the 3rd round (last 16).

Meanwhile I heard that some players were being rounded up for a Losers Division.... Bit of a harsh name, if you ask me.

Drink water, stay cool. Take photos. Breathe in the atmosphere. Pick up a few trinkets at the stall.

Okay, last round before the Quarters, and I'm going to be up against a cool looking Japanese 16-19(??) year old lad. Buzz cut, sports shirt. I attempt to psych him out with some eyework beforehand, but I don't think he was too scared. :)

Oooh, I sold 2 books!

Okay, here we go. I'm offered the 10 cards to draw from (the random trick), so I consider my options, and go for...... That one! It's turned over, and it's #8 - World Trip. Great, my worst trick. Attempt 1: miss the Bird. Of course. The worse thing is, he has Moon Landing as his #8, and for me that's a far easier trick, even though it's in the higher category. I suppose I should work on my Bird transitions. Anyway, he Moons easily enough and I'm 1 down. Next trick was Hanging 1-turn LH for me. Got it! Things are looking up. But he hits his Slip Grip Special, so 2 attempt: Oh dear, I completely fluff the launch up and the ken's going nowhere near where it should. SGS #2 is no problem, and I'm sunk 2-0. Ah well, I'll take "last16", for sure. Finding out that he was a former All Japan Champion softens the blow too, right? Um, yeah, all right then.

So, come on Nic, it's you for the West. Nope, 0-2 there too. Ah well. We came, we enjoyed, we participated.

Break before the quarter finals. A juggling display, and then some kids team demonstrations.

Oh, and Speed Trick B tests. Okay, I need to hit under 60 seconds in one of 2 attempts to be able to go on for the 4th Dan. First one, not so good, a couple of minor string fluffs, and some blatant misses. 73. Hmmmm, better do it second time then, huh? Okay.....

Shimadera-san says...... Hajime!

This one was better. Minor string misdemeanour early, and an early miss on AJ shouldn't be too disastrous... Oops, missed that swing in. Oh, and the first bird, but back on track with JS and 1-t Aero, so, just get this Falling down first time, and I should get through okay. Got it, yesssss! Except I then hear "Aaoohhh" from Shimadera-San. Uh-oh.

No 4th Dan for me. Maybe Poland....

Right, I'm too tired to keep typing, more later, maybe
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

shalafi

Pity the 61 seconds, but still very impressive.

That is also quite impressive: " I'm up against a 13/14 year old with a higher grade than me"

Nice read, thanks for sharing it here!
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

The Void

.....hello again.
Okay, I forgot to mention, after I got through the first round, I was interviewed by a nice lady from ( I think) the local TV company. There was someone wandering around filming all day, so something will no doubt have been broadcast. Hopefully someone will find it and share it.

So, other gradings. Some players were given another chance to do their Moshikame, and took the Speed trick B too. So ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, in approximate order of achievement ....

RodDama - 1st Dan!
Jeffrey - 1st Dan!
KendAlex - 2nd Dan!
Colin Sander - 3rd Dan!
KendaMushroom - 3rd Dan!

Congratulations guys. Awesome work!

Meanwhile, while all that was going on, there were the quarters and semis going on. Then we had the final of the Loser Division: Kenta vs (a girl whose name I didn't get, but will edit in here later if I find it out). Kenta won.  I congratulated him afterwards, saying " but, I don't understand exactly what it is that you have won...?". He replied "Neither do I!".

Final Time.

Mukai San (reigning EKO Champion) was up against Murotani-san, the reigning a previous All Japan champion. The final was first to three points. 1-0. 1-1. Next trick was moon landing, and on his last attempt, Mukai-San has to hit to stay even. It lands on the ball, and there is a slow adjustment, and then another as he holds it in place. 2 white flags (that's good) go up, but there's a "Shippai!" from the judge onstage who thinks the ken has touched Mukai-san's thumb. We can tell from the look on his face that he's not happy about it. 2-1 to Murotani-San. Now, the rule here is that if there is no winning score after 4 tricks have been attempted, they go to the Speed Trick to decide it. Next trick, and again, Mukai-San has to hit his 3rd attempt to stay in. He hits! So it's 2-2, and we're off to the Speed Trick.

Hajime!

Whoah, damn they're both moving at lightning speed, but wait, did Mukai-San just do a 4th Aeroplane? He must have had a miss? Oh, it's all done, Naoki Murotani-San has finished and is the new World Kendama Champion! Congratulations, sir, amazing work.

Presentations, speeches, group photos, mass scramble of "sign my kendama please!".

A kendama trainer from Hiroshima presented me with a kendama with his name and "nebari!" written on. Thank you sir!

More photos of newly acquired certificates gang.

The clear-up goes on, and Hitomi-San shows Alice some fan moves.

Off to Doma Doma restaurant (Rod wants to graffiti the sign to Dama Dama) for the evening feast. Yano-san and some of the other Japanese players play the hero card and pay for most of the food and drinks for the foreigners. Lots of chatting, eating and drinking, and soon there are a bunch of trades and present-swapping going on. (Never mind) Quite a lot of people left that restaurant very happy.

For us it was back to our host Yano-san's place for a chat with Basti and Mr Yano, before typing up the first half of yesterday just for you lot (aren't I nice?) and sinking into and exhausted state.

So much more I could type (Oh, I'm currently typing this on the Shinkansen, by the way, with lots of legroom, and comfy reclining seats. Nice!), but this will probably do for now. It's been an amazing time, indescribably good, and if you all are not already making plans to come to Japan next year then damn well start now!

Okay, now the more chilled section of our holiday can begin. Off to Kyoto and then Tokyo with Basti on the train. Ciao chaps!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

The Void

SamB

Thanks for the report Void. Sounds like a great trip!

Huge congratulations to all the new Dan graders, that is seriously impressive!
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

KendaMushroom

Thanks for the story Void!

although I think the Winner kid's name is Murotani?

The Void

Ah, I could easily be wrong. Was cross-referencing a look-up, with Basti's help. Will re-check....

KendaMushroom

I sent an email yesterday to Shima san, so we'll get names soon :) so Void, speed trick B practice for Poland! the both of us need to become 4th ^^

The Void

KendaMushroom

yup that's what I thought, the kid is Naoki Murotani...I have to know the name of the kid that has my mugen now :P

The Void

Thanks man, I edited my post. And yes, folks, that's right, Nic donated a near-pristine blue Mugen to the world champ. What a nice dude! :)

AlexSmith

Again, nice read, Void! Appreciated. Congrats to everyone, especially on the dan rankings. I'm going to have to practise up on my moshikame and the trick list for Poland (they will be running certifications there I'm guessing?). It's fast approaching. I tried moshikame yesterday and made it to 368, after being awake close to 35 hours with only a couple of short naps to tide me over (hooray jetlag!). Not too shabby I guess, needs improvement though :p

The Void

Hi Alex, I'll do BKA gradings if the JKA players don't do theirs. (Or possibly as well) So yeah, you'll get a chance for sure. Sounds like a good run of Moshi you had there, but yeah, practice hard, (EVERY day between now and then, at least one endurance run) and at the right speed!

Oh, gawk, I'm going to have to start planning for Poland pretty damn soon.... A nice problem to have. :)
We're off for dinner with Basti and Shimadera-san shortly.

The Void

PS You need to aim for 2nd Dan to topple Rod from Top Canadian position! ;)