News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

A tad undecided...

Started by AdamWest, 31 October, 2012, 19:21:00

Previous topic - Next topic

AdamWest

I got myself a black 70's Sakura today and I'm a bit undecided on whether I want to play it or keep it new, it's not been played with at all and looks too nice for me to ruin... Maybe  :P

What would some of you do?...

HansNickmans

I would say play it, don't do ground-bashing spacewalks above concrete (to spare the paint), and put it in your cupboard as a collectible when you feel you've played it enough. You get the chance to play with some genuine craftsmanship, and get a (personalized) collectable afterwards. Your resale value will be a lot lower, but since you've bought it you plan on keeping it no?

Only, if you've spent a lot of money on it, I wouldn't know what to do as well...
Kendama Belgium!

The Void

I've had one for a while now, and I suppose I'm still undecided. I opened the pack and did one Spike with it, but then packed it away again. I suppose you have to decide whether you are a Player, Collector or Investor. Of course, your answer may vary from kendama to kendama... And may change over time too.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

AdamWest

It set me back barely anything, £20 which I was more than willing to hand over for it  :P

And yes, I definitely plan on keeping it.
I reckon that's pretty much what i'm going to do with it and when I think it's the only kendama out of mine that I'd be able to use at the NRC next year...
I'm nit going to hammer it, I've got other kendamas for that. That way I'll enjoy it both ways.

I think I am more of a player than anything else, I don't have and never have had a kendama I didn't.
I'm going to play it tonight, but not yet... I've had pizza and a greasy kendama is something I don't want :')

AlexSmith

Quote from: AdamWest on 31 October, 2012, 19:21:00
I got myself a black 70's Sakura today ...

The old Sakuras that have been floating around for the last year or so are more likely models from the 1990s from what I understand. One website that had them for sale listed them as from the 80s, but from what I understand this was a mistake.

Anyone else have any insight into this?

To answer your question though: I have one still in a package, and another that was put to good use. They're more of a collectible then a good kendama, the performance will be nowhere near even the cheapest brands available today. But hey, maybe you're just looking for something different, so why not give it a click or two?

AdamWest

I can't be certain my self whiter it is a 70's, 80's or indeed maybe even 90's Sakura.
I'm by far anything but an expert :')

I had a go last night and it's quite nice to play but I'm going to keep it nice more than anything else... I only had a few quick goes and then looked at some of the states I've but my other damas in so I put it away and picked up my TK :P

My favourite of mine as far as playing it's concerned is my 'Stealth Mugen' or Rakurosen...
But at least for now... I'm going to keep the Sakura looking all pretty :')

Thorny

Quote from: AdamWest on 01 November, 2012, 14:30:38
I can't be certain my self whiter it is a 70's, 80's or indeed maybe even 90's Sakura.

I think Alex is right, Adam. I'm pretty sure that the original Sakuras/Fujis (70s/80s) are the ones with the mountain and flower seal. Then the 90s models have the all-gold seal and then from 2000 onwards they became Shin Sakura/Fuji and got their purple/black seals. That's what I've come to understand anyway.

Quote from: AdamWest on 01 November, 2012, 14:30:38
My favourite of mine as far as playing it's concerned is my 'Stealth Mugen' or Rakurosen...

Rokurosen* I don't understand how your spelling of that word changes every day, you were getting it right for a week or so as well then started spelling it weird again :') haha
Glad you're enjoying Stealth too, mate. I know you'll look after it well.

AdamWest

You try keeping a regular spelling of a word on an iPhone :') it's hard man...
And I reckon that is the case with the Sakura... I didn't mind either way, I've got a nice looking kendama to perk up my bedroom :P

I'm going to enjoy stealth for a long time I think dude :') he's a quality little kendama.

Thorny

You've really made me want another one to just sit lying around looking nice haha. It's okay though, I think I know where I can get one.

Kernow Kendama

I have an all wood Vintage Sakura. Up until 3 weeks ago it was still in it's package and in a box on my bedroom floor along with 2 KCN Battles and an OG Oozora. 2 days before deciding to open it and play I was 3 hours away from home when I got a phone call telling me my flat was flooded :( Among about a 1000 other thoughts was S**T my Kens!!?? I came home to find the box disintegrated and all 4 had some kind of water in or on them. The Sakura was the worst with water inside the packaging and the ken fairly soden over about 45%. The OG was slightly wet and the two KCN's were only wet on the outside. My immediate thought was to dry it out and play the damn thing. I'd been holding on to it for a number of months as a collectors item but after the flood I realised life to short to have it sat in a package and in a box. Why not open these Kens and play with them, after all that's why there there, what's here today could be gone tomorrow.  ;)

Cheers n Gone
KEN BOOTY

The Void

Urk, that sucks dude! Oh well, like you say, enjoy the playing of them...
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!