News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Jumping stick. Any good techniques?

Started by Dimensions, 02 January, 2013, 18:04:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimensions

I've been troubled by the trick jumping stick

And I really cant break it down in to sections

Can you give me some hints and tips. So I can get a jumping stick at least 1/5 times
Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

Toby

With the initial aeroplane it really really helps if you put a lottle bit of clockwise rotation (assuming youre right handed) on the ken as you release it and then spike it with the big cup facing down (this is basically the same technique for the non-string hook lunar). now when you throw the ken for the jumping stick, the rotation on the ken will be much easier to control.

Practice throwing the ken so it rotates at different speeds so you can really master the cobtrol of that.

Knees.
SRC 2011 Moshi Kame Champion

Adam K

I've had trouble with jumping stick for a while, too, and I've recently found that a slower, higher jumping stick, where I spot the spike as it comes around, to be more consistent then a lower, faster, jumping stick. This way I don't have to remember exactly how much force it takes for the ken to make exactly one rotation, but can correct on the fly from my small errors in spin speed.

And yes, knees.

HansNickmans

I second Adam on this one. I used to do a fast and low jumping stick which was more a push forward than an upward motion. But the slower one makes for a higher consistency in my case.

Same as for Earth Turns

Good luck with it! It's a very satisfying trick to get down.
Kendama Belgium!

br4d24

I recently started landing jumping sticks so i might be able to add some good input! First off watch this video (sam is a great teacher all the how to play videos are great and got me started):

Like he says it really helps letting the ken almost go horizontal before you flick it up for the flip. When you get it up in the air for the flip keep your eye on the spike, when it comes back down i find it has lots of spinning momentum which can make it pop out of the hole if you dont really cradle it on the landing and use your knees so it falls in there. Also make sure you keep the tama in line with the ken when its in the air for obvious reasons.

SamB

A god tip is it is much easier if you flip it with the cups in line with you i.e. start with one cup facing you, rather than with them either side (in that case the string hole would be facing you). This makes it easier to see because everything is in line - less visual noise. Then knees (obviously) and gentle with the throw, don't throw too fast, knees again, watch it come round and then actively try to spike it with the ball, like don't just hope the rotation is ok and it will go in,  actually move your hand towards the spike and spike it.

Nice and steady and everything straight and in line. Then practice and knees! This applies doubly for double jumping sticks (triply for triple etc.!)

It's not that easy but is a super satisfying trick and everyone misses them sometimes, and I mean everyone, so don't worry about it!
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...