News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Been done before? (Horiz earth spin pen grip)

Started by br4d24, 22 January, 2013, 06:11:09

Previous topic - Next topic

br4d24

Was dicking around today trying to find some kind of trick i could do once i spike the ball from various combos. I started thinking about how ufo's work, and how they are basically just a horizontal variation of the tama grip ken flip (dunno the specific name but you get the point).

Anyways i like doing earth spins after tricks just to add one more little thing in there (got the habit from one of the Wenatchee videos, they literally try to earth spin after every combo it seems)
So I decided to try and do it horizontally because i havent seen anyone ever do that in edits. After some trial and error i decided that doing it ken grip looks kinda silly and feels awkward; but then i tried pen grip and it turned out pretty swell! I am no pro and this trick really isnt all that difficult, especially for most of you guys. It does look pretty damn cool though, and if you really use your knees and spike it low it looks sick after a nice combo :)

Has anyone ever seen this done? In either pen or ken grip? I will try and get a video sometime, hopefully i will have my regular sized kendama by then and can add a little bit more finesse than i can at the moment (started out and pretty much only played a performer, unless you got some good skill its difficult to be as fluid with all that extra weight and size)

BKA

Quote from: br4d24 on 22 January, 2013, 06:11:09I started thinking about how ufo's work, and how they are basically just a horizontal variation of the tama grip ken flip (dunno the specific name but you get the point).
Jumping Stick
QuoteHas anyone ever seen this done? In either pen or ken grip?
See 2m04 in http://www.kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,412.0.html I can't remember seeing it done in pen grip, but I would bet someone has been there.
Well done for experimenting for yourself though, some great tricks have been evolved that way.

br4d24

Haha thanks! I will go check out your link and see if i can find it :P I really wanna get a video down to show everyone how cool it looks - but its so damn hard to land for me :P

I figured out my personal favorite technique to do it though, well atleast to get the ball spinning nicely so you dong have to contort yourself too much. When you bring yourself up pull your spike out of the tama. When it is close to being completely out, flick the inside of the tama with the remaining spike to turn it... using this method, with some practice you could turn the ball in any direction really. Doing this trick with the traditional earth turn techniqe (where you kinda just toss it up) doesnt work, atleast not for me... its much easier and styleish to do the method i just explained... it almost keeps the tama stationary in the air while your ken hand does the work.

Happy clacking everyone :)

The Void

That's pretty much the standard method, yup! It's cool that you figured out the optimum way by experimenting, though. :)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!