News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Taps

Started by the milky oolong, 21 May, 2013, 21:43:39

Previous topic - Next topic

the milky oolong

Ok,

So you know by now how it is with me, no funds for any possible kind of camera gear on the landlocked island of Berlin, so I will describe the following as best I can. I have been experimenting with what, following traditional kendama terminology, could only be described as 'Taps' (notably after Tap-On, Tap-In). A good while ago, while experimenting with different speeds doing Jumping Stick, I happened to catch the base-cup on the tama, sending it smoothly up into the air in a half-turn, and spiked it, resulting in an interrupted Jumping Stick-Tap In.

Since then I have been messing around with this, and have found that 1-Turn Tap-Interrupted catches are more than possible both in the direction of spin and against it, and it's even possible to manage a 1-Turn Tap-Interrupted Lighthouse Somersault (when the 1-Turn Lighthouse should land, give a controlled tap and push out, then catch the once-more flipped ken). Other than that there is Lunar to half-flip Tap-Interrupted Lighthouse to In (make sense? Land a Lunar, flip as if to Lighthouse, but push through with the tama catch and spike low).

I'm damn close to sure someone has been experimenting with all sorts of these tricks before; what do you guys think about this variation?
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

Cliffdama

I also like this! One other easy one is: aeroplane -> jumping stick. Once the spike starts facing you tap it downwards to add another turn to it :). It's very easy to catch.

SamB

The Bitter Beans chaps did something similar to the  last one you described. They call it a Lunar Monkey (around 2:20)

I was also trying this with throwing jumping sticks as hard as possible then stopping them with a tap and catching aeroplane style. Also lighthouse -> tap ->  somersault to lighthouse.
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

the milky oolong

I know that the forum has a policy against one-word posts, so, hopefully the disclaimer is enough to support the fact that all I have to say is: Ferocious!
Kendama Berlin

Misterwhang

That was a freaking sick video.....havent tried taps, looks too difficult for me

SamB

This video by Daniel Robinson probably deserves it's own thread but the taps you need to see are around 3:15
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

the milky oolong

Sam, you're right, this just has to be posted in a new thread, simply amazing!
Kendama Berlin

br4d24

I recently have been working with taps, jumping stick and then tapping it and catching it reverse is really fun. Also pulling up like a 1 turn lighthouse and tapping the spike to flip it once into a lighthouse is sick too. Finally lighthouse and then tap to in is a basic but snazzy looking trick to start out practicing.