News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

British Kendama Open 2012

Started by BKA, 31 October, 2011, 14:55:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter

Hm, are you serious? I mean, what is the difference between "JKA approved" and "JKA recommended", technically spoken? And are you really able, again technically spoken, to check whether a Kendama is certified or not? In Munich, I hadn't had any problems with getting on stage with my private customized "bigger whole drilled JKA-nothing longer string roughend Tama grip wet special Peter competition Kendama"... - which didn't helped me to survive the first round, by the way :-)

And how about doping tests? I mean, is caffeine good for you? Certainly not. But what is about sedatives?

The question, I wanted to ask, is: what are those regulations good for, anyhow? I can use a JKA-approved seal-Kendama, and nobody will be able to prove, that I just changed the Tama... right?

The Void

The point of the rule is to try to set a level playing field for all competitors. All sports have similar rules[nb]Carbon fibre bicycles, aluminium cricket bats, polyurethane swimsuits, etc etc[/nb]. Otherwise everyone would be using those kendamas with a rubberised finish on the ball and hitting moon landings with one eye closed, stood on one leg.

Previously, we have not made too much effort to enforce the rule, and I do remember seeing someone competing with a "recommended" kendama at one point, but I decided to let it go. However, as the kendama scene grows, I think it does make a lot of sense to have a baseline to work from.

As for "what's to stop me being sneaky?"...
a) Your conscience
b) The chance that it will be noticed.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Peter

Sorry for wanting to be the devils advocate ... You are right: it is about conscience, which means sportiness. You can cheat yourself in your personal training, you can cheat the community in your edits, you can try to cheat in competition. But that would be unsporty, and you have to take this to hell with your self. ... So please, set up any rules, allowing to use sunrise performers but not shinfuji JKA-recommended...

Ah, come on! As long as we are not able to measure the friction coefficient of the used Tamas, this is eye washing. What is with my JKA approved blue Ozora, which I use for 2 years by now, and which has so many scarfs on it, that any Todai sticks on it like glued? It is even not "sneakiness", sometimes. "I just like the way, my old Ozora feels, and it has a seal, so why should I bother?" And again, as mentioned before, with a bit of a sweaty hand, you can wetten your Ken, thus enhancing the friction further... Come on folks! This is a game!

Don't want to harm anyone, I just think, that we should have some answers to this. From my point of view, the second and third places are irrelevant, thus cheating makes no sense. The first place of a tournament, there a certain attention on the material used might be necessary. Maybe, in the final the competitors could be asked to exchange the Kendamas from trick to trick :-)

KendaMushroom

I remember being outside the tent at the EKC, and this austrian guy was playing the metallic blue Ozora and i told him "you know...normally you should'nt be allowed to play that kendama because it's a recommended JKA and not approved". he looked at me weird :)

but then I told him, seems it doesn't really matter since some people are playing with sunrise.

but yeah I think it's a good step towards getting everybody in the same basket....as people register, right down the kendama they will be playing. ex: light blue ozora....done. can't change.

kendamajohnny

some of the recommended kendamas are almost identical to the certified ones like the oozora hardwoods, would this be allowed? sorry to keep asking the same question but i am not entirely sure weather recommended are allowed or not?

BKA

Same question, same answer. Not allowed. Sorry.

BKA

For those only coming for the day to play kendama, we have negotiated a cheaper "kendama-only" ticket for £10. (A standard BJC day ticket is likely to be £25-£30).

See BKO 2012 page for details.

ChrisD

"this ticket will give you access only to the beer tent and the BKO competition"

Wondering whether anyone is trying to negotiate a still cheaper ticket with access to the beer tent only......

Thorny

I'm hoping that I can get down for this!
Harry's confident in that he would have passed his driving test and will have a fully functioning road legal car by then... but if he doesn't I don't think I'll be able to afford to go. I'm also wanting to save up to travel to Poland for the EJC this year.

We'll see how things go, I guess.

BKA

Full day's schedule will be:
11.00-12.30: BKA grading exams,
1.30: BKO,
5.00-7.00: BKA grading exams.

The Void

I think BKO could be an absolute cracker this year in the Adv division. If all the following show up, think what a battle it will be for the British title between (in no particular order):
Matty
Thorny
Harry
Tom
Sam
Dave
Toby
Me
Johnny M
Guy
Donald
Ian H
Mark

Add in some European "spanners in the works"
Alex
Jeffrey
Mirek

...and a dark horse or two, and what a fight it could be!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

BKA

BKA

Massive prize fund announced: £400s-worth of vouchers. BIG THANKS to David at Sunrise Kendamas for this.

BKA

BKA

Under 2 weeks to go!
Time to start some serious practising of those trick lists.