News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Transferable skill

Started by HansNickmans, 10 March, 2016, 08:42:41

Previous topic - Next topic

HansNickmans

Been getting back into juggling lately, and after a long time of only kendama I've noticed some "transferable skill"

- I used to not be able to catch a club in a balance on another club. Lighthouses seemed to have helped me considerably
- I had someone explain C-whip with a diabolo to me yesterday. I finally got how it works since I know that trick on a kendama
- Some "one-shot" tricks I've come up with have clearly been based on kendama. For example, stick grind with a diabolo -> throw diabolo up -> full spin handstick --> catch back in grind.

Any other jugglers (or other skill-toy-artists) that have noticed transferable skill?
Kendama Belgium!

shalafi

For me the C-Whip was the other way around, I learned on kendama because I knew it from diabolo :)
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

The Void

I was a cigar-boxer before I was a clicker, so the concept of "use your knees to add lots of height/depth (=time) to the trick" came easily. I see it working the other way with @Rich too...
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Rich

Very true, I think kendama really helped me to take to the cigar boxes as I was already in the possession of flexible knees, it's the wrists that're the problem!. Knees on the way up and knees on the way down is a good mentality for both.

If i was ever to start doing squats, lifting heavy objects, playing volleyball or dancing the charleston I presume it would transfer well to those as well...