News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Coloring a kendama with dye

Started by Blackhawkfan, 26 May, 2016, 10:51:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackhawkfan

Hi, I am a total newbie here, and am waiting for my kendamausa natural tribute in the mail.  I got the natural as I did not want paint chips to fall off that my budgie may eat.  I read the post on how to dye your kendama, but nobody weighed in on how it lasts after playing, and if the hot water adversely affects it.  Also, even with letting it dry overnight, does some of the dye still get on your hands?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on what I should focus on as a beginner to best hone my skill with the kendama?  Thanks!

Denise

donald grant

Welcome to the forum!

Dyeing kens (as opposed to painting them) all depends on what you use (and of course what sort of effect you're after).  Have had some interesting experiments using "permanent" inks, which did initially leave some residue on your hands, but eventually settled down without becoming worn/ patchy.  Also had some fun with different shades of furniture correction marker; more subtle but stay fixed really well (as they're supposed to :)

Beginners tricks wise, the "essential eleven" is always a good place to start... http://kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,905.0.html

Blackhawkfan

Great videos, thanks for directing me to them.  I'm thinking of using food dye on just the ball, to make it more visible compared to the ken.  What kind of permanent inks are you referring to?

Blackhawkfan

After reading up on dyeing wooden blocks for children with liquid water colors, I decided to try it.  So far, so good: I painted the watercolor on, and it dried quickly and has not gotten onto my hand, and only got on the ken in one tiny area, where I had glued the spike.  So now I'm busy getting big cup and little cup down.  Those videos have been great so that I can learn the proper form right off

KenSan

Ive used sharpie pens to put stripes on a couple of tamas with reasonable results. There was a little bleed onto my fingers at first but stopped after a while.

The colour took better to the beech tama than the cherry though. Wood density i guess.

Good luck on your kendama journey!
3rd place @ BKO 2016 Adv. Division. :-)