News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Structured Practice???

Started by KENRONIN, 16 August, 2016, 18:53:46

Previous topic - Next topic

KENRONIN

Hello.. I'm new to Kendama. I've been doing kendama for about 2 or 3 months or so.  I can do most basic tricks. (although not very consistent)
My question is for the good players out there and players who improved quickly.  How do you practice?  lets say you are trying to learn a few new tricks.. do you just practice one
trick for a set amount of time? or do you set a goal.. like "ill practice it till I land it 10 times"?  I must be doing something wrong.. because I've been
working on jumping stick for at least a month.. and I can still only land it MAYBE 1 in 10. same goes for most other tricks.. seems like i'm doing
something wrong. I practice and practice but i'm not really improving my land percentages.  I know some of you might say to keep practicing and I will get there. but I've done other
skill toys for years..and my consistency level is still very low.  I'm starting to think that I have bad practice habits.  and please don't say practice more.. I practice ALOT.
any practice help would be greatly appreciated :)

BKA

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

We think that the Kyu/Dan grading system is an excellent way to improve your consistency, and build a solid skill level base. http://kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,292.0.html http://kendama.co.uk/tricks.html

For Jumping Stick, have you checked out this thread: http://kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,796.0.html ?

BKA

KENRONIN

Thanks for the reply.  all the links were helpful. and the jumping stick tips will definitely help. but they don't really answer my questions about "How to Practice" the art of practicing I feel is one of the most neglected areas in skill toys and manipulation skills.

The Void

Hello,
Your problem is: you aren't using your knees enough. Sink more on the catch, and push up more on the launch.

"Wait a minute, how do you know I'm not using my knees enough?"
Well, I don't absolutely know that for sure, without seeing you play, but I'd be prepared to bet on it. Having just judged the EKO, I sat there watching reallly skilled players miss tricks that they really should have got....because they didn't use their knees enough. Over and over again, I see players miss through lazy play. Practice good technique!

But as for a practice structure, what works for one person might not work for another. I don't have a system for myself, and precisely what I practice varies from day to day or week to week (Apart from 6th Dan.). (Maybe that variance in itself is my system!) But I would say that you shouldn't overpractice. Tired? Take a break. Remember to breathe. Getting frustrated? Take a break or try something else. Not having fun? Stop! Try to self-analyse what went wrong. (I wrote another reply post about that to someone else some while back... I'll try to find it.)

But yes, keep at it! :-)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

The Void

If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

KENRONIN

Quote from: The Void on 16 August, 2016, 20:44:30
I found the post: http://kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2670.msg23057.html#msg23057
Hmmm.. very interesting read. When I practice.. I do ask myself questions..and try to find solutions.. but maybe...just maybe.. I'm not digging deep enough.  Thanks for your help.. this may help me ;)

shalafi

When I try to learn a new trick I practice it for a while, try to analyze the moves, what works, what doesn't and try to let my body understand it, build muscle memory.

You need to be really determined to learn the trick.

Other than that, I usually practice for fun, but that technique worked nice for me on jumping stick, swirls, c-whip and turntable. Not so much for lunars and spacewalks because I am not so determined to get them.

As Void said, each person is different.

And the knees, yes indeed.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

fiddletriks

Personally to keep me motivated. I don't end a session unless I land a new combo or trick that I'm happy with. It keeps you smiling when you play. I feel if you end a session on a low, it won't push you to pick it up more and more.
For practice. Think of something you want to land, split it into smaller pieces and practice each motion separate and then put them together :)

Instagram: @cruizerd4ft
*welsh thistle*