News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

The ever popular "Today I..." thread

Started by BatDancer, 04 July, 2011, 21:24:24

Previous topic - Next topic

rhys_goes_peace

Quote from: The Void on 02 March, 2017, 16:13:42
Landed a trick today. On watching it back, the last bit only had a half spin, instead of the full spin I was going for. Hmmm, semi-success....
What trick were you going for?  Also, landed this: [instagram]
Check out my instagram: @rhysgoespeace

The Void

Hi Rhys,
I won't say what the trick is now, as it may end up being a submission to the Collab.
Nice flow, there!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

johndmc

Today I passed self assessment for kyu 1 and then tried my hand at pre-advanced and passed that! Made up, just need to practice more, as I want to get graded at bko. Now not sure on trying for pre advanced or just kyu 1. I know nerves and of course being conscious of spectators will be an issue at the time. What's the general advice on this?
Dont practice what you can do, practice what you can't! :)

The Void

Well done! Just go as far as you can, @johndmc . If you fail to get PreDan, you will automatically fallback to 1st Kyu. It all happens in the same exam. Keep practising, and remember to breathe. :)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

johndmc

Quote from: The Void on 05 March, 2017, 20:47:41
Well done! Just go as far as you can, @johndmc . If you fail to get PreDan, you will automatically fallback to 1st Kyu. It all happens in the same exam. Keep practising, and remember to breathe. :)
Great, thanks Void. Do you know if a Ozora Keyaki or gold premium would be acceptable for gradings? I feel confident the Keyaki wouldn't be an issue, but with the paint on the gold I wasn't sure from the info on the website?

The Void

johndmc

John

This week I have been mostly learning....

John

I'm aware that these are less "whirlwinds" and more "slow gusts". I'm working on the speed of the kenflip, but all in good time Watson. I'm just happy to have got this far after struggling with them for so, so long. Click click!

The Void

Dont knock it John, whatever works for you. Nice (whirl)work!

John

johndmc

Quote from: John on 10 March, 2017, 12:45:28
This week I have been mostly learning....

Nice work. Ice been trying these all week and just haven't got the hang of it yet. You should be proud man

John

Thanks @johndmc, it's been a slog, believe me. I think the only other trick I have spent more time on learning is a lunar.
There's a decent amount of tips out there (on this forum and outside) but honestly it's just putting the work in until you understand the technique. What really helped for me is to focus on the lofty spin of the tama. That's the hardest part to get it to come down sweetly where you want it. I tend to use very little wrist in this and use the upward motion of my body more to control it.
And more knees, of course.
It won't be easy, but put in the time and you'll get it. :)

rhys_goes_peace

Quote from: John on 10 March, 2017, 12:47:39
I'm aware that these are less "whirlwinds" and more "slow gusts". I'm working on the speed of the kenflip, but all in good time Watson. I'm just happy to have got this far after struggling with them for so, so long. Click click!
To make the kenflips faster, you can push down with your thumb as you throw it. Respect for doing it on a kendama with no tracking  8)
Check out my instagram: @rhysgoespeace

John

Ha, indeed! All the kendamas I own with tracking are in pretty good nick. I had no desire to turn one of them into a golf ball for a week. So I took a complete beater I had laying around with a flat-ish spike and it did the trick.

Incidentally, the trick feels completely different on other kendamas and so I still have a lot of work ahead learning how to adjust for different weights. One of my setups is full ash, a little heavier than my others, and it takes a lot more of a whoomph to get the tama around. Going back to a lighter one and I end up wazzing the tama around way too quickly and I'm back to square one.

All fun, though. :)