News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Comics & Manga - Reccomendations

Started by PikWik, 12 August, 2013, 22:17:54

Previous topic - Next topic

PikWik

hey whatsup you guys,

so with the artwork competition being for a watchmen themed kendama it got me thinking, do you guys read comics?
i read alot of comics and would love to hear some of your favorites and recommendations

comics
american splendor
preacher
planetary
bone
beasts of burden
y the last man
black hole
starchild
fables
sandman
daytripper

manga
20th century boys
claymore
berserk
pluto
fairy tale

im sure im forgetting lots, but those are what i can remember right now  :D        but hey, post some of your favorites

RodDama

i dont read manga but im pretty into animes! I am a good way through Bleach, have watched Full metal alchemist (both original and Brotherhood), afro samurai, samurai champloo a bit... theres so many.. lol
-RodDama!

www.terrakendama.com

The Void

I quite liked Sandman, an aeon or two ago. That's about as far as I went.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

PikWik

@void - sandman was a great run. i really enjoy fables as well. kinda see it as a sandman 2.0

@rodDama - i watch alot of anime as well. steins gate is pretty good if you havent checked that out. attack on titan, mushishi, those new evangelion OVAs, melancholy of haruhi, girl who leapt thru time, summer wars, sword of the stranger, redline, pretty much everything miyazaki has touched, tengen toppa gurren lagann, GTO, welcome to the nhk, junni kokki, berserk, and everything else you listed.

if you liked bleach you should check out attack on titan or steins gate

RodDama

definitely will do!! I like mushishi too! theres one thats very bizarre but super interesting called ghost hound.. kinda in the same vein its even on netflix actually! haha
-RodDama!

www.terrakendama.com

Cliffdama

Watching attack on titan atm! Thanks for the tip!

Rich

Attack on titan is excellent. Getting bored waiting for the next series though! It's so non stop its a little disconcerting when it just...stops. :p
Been watching samurai champloo atm which I would highly recommend. I also like slice of slice of life anime and manga like Kimi to Boku and Mysterious Girlfriend X, although not a lot happens in them if your into action...
Also PikWik, Welcome to the NHK is my all time favourite and everyone should watch it!  ;D

And since this has kinda veered towards animes I feel I should say, I don't read comics, sorry!

johndmc

Hi All

Thanks for the recommendations, i do read comics and some manga. Lately i have not been reading as much (its a sacrifice for kendama practice).

Mostly i read a lot of independant stuff, im not a huge superhero fan to be honest, although saying that i do read 'Invincible' and quite a lot of the Image titles (mainly due to Robert Kirkman). I would certainly recommend:

Invincible
Chew
Saga
Walking Dead
Hellboy (Mignola is genuis)
Blacksad - (this is great, there are two volumes now, illustrated by a former Disney artist.
Green Wake

Also i would say to check out a graphic novel called 'Essex County' by Jeff Lumire, it was recommended to me recently and its wonderful. Not everyones taste i'll admit.

Manga related, i dont read too many, although i have read Oldboy volumes which are really good.
Currently i am reading Uzumaki passed to me by a friend who got it for xmas. This artwork is INCREDIBLE!! Also the story i havent finished (NO SPOILERS PLEASE) but very very good story so far.

Dont practice what you can do, practice what you can't! :)

shalafi

Here is my list of anime in order of rating: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/shalafi&show=0&order=4
Here is my manga list, quite smaller: http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/shalafi&show=0&order=4

I've read more that that, but I have not bother updating it. The anime list is quite up-to-date.

I'd recommend any anime that I rated 8, 9 or 10.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

PikWik

[user]shalafi[/user] , you and i have very similar tastes in anime. you obviously dont subscribe to only watching dubbed anime on cartoon network and actively seek fresh content. its always refreshing to hear that.

and im sure you guys have heard by now, but Preacher is making its way to the AMC via seth rogen/evan goldberg. i truly hope it does not deviate too much from the comic, because its a perfect story as-is. preacher is by far my most recommended comic when i first meet someone, and ive given the comics to countless friends to read over the years. garth ennis is a master story writer and glenn fabry did an amazing job on the cover art for each issue.

if you havent read preacher; YOU, the person reading this, do yourself a favor and download/buy them NOW. you will not regret it. and if you download them, theres nothing to lose except the 15 minutes it takes to read the first issue.