News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Heavy or light kendama for a beginner?

Started by happygoat, 25 December, 2012, 10:45:36

Previous topic - Next topic

happygoat

Hi,

I have just out my kendama adventure a week ago, and I have bought a Sunrise and a yellow Ozora kendama.
The Sunrise is very heavy I think. The tama weighs 81 grams (total 147g) and the ozora one weighs 65 grams (total 133g). It feels like a huge difference and it seems that the sunrise is the easier to use for a beginner because it is heavier (although a little unbalanced).
Is it preferable to use a "heavy" one for a beginner?

I know a kendama is a wooden product and the weight will vary but is the Sunrise normally that heavy (tama ~ 80 g)?

As a sidenote I'm not impressed with the build quality of the ozora. The cups fell of within the first hour I played with it :-( It kept falling off, so now I have glued the pieces together with a small amount of super glue...

I will likely buy a TK16 to try that out as well...could anyone share their thoughts about this kendama! Are they on par with the ozora regarding weight?

What are the length of the string on your kendamas? There seems to be several cm's difference between my Sunrise and the ozora...

Thanks!

The Void

Hi Happy,

I just weighed a few kendamas for you:

Model      Ball  Ken  Total   (weight in grams)
Sunrise    70   72    142
Sunrise    79   76    155
Sunrise    77   65    142
Oozora     76   63    139
Mugen     76    69    145
Shin Sakura 65 63   128
Krom       76   76     152

All well-used models, apart from the Krom. So you can see that the weight of the woods can vary quite a bit. It does look like you have a particularly heavy-balled Sunrise though. Before I weighed these ones, I'd have said that my favourite of the Sunrises to use was the 3rd one... in other words, the most off-balanced one! So Heavy or Light, and indeed "balanced" are all subjective.

See here for hints/a discussion about string length: http://www.kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,51.0.html
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

happygoat

Hi,

Thanks for this info and for the work you put into weighing all these kendamas!!

What are your experience with the KROM?

The Void

I haven't played with it enough to form an opinion yet. Seems okay...
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

SergioAllen

Quote from: happygoat on 25 December, 2012, 10:45:36
Hi,

I have just out my kendama adventure a week ago, and I have bought a Sunrise and a yellow Ozora kendama.
The Sunrise is very heavy I think. The tama weighs 81 grams (total 147g) and the ozora one weighs 65 grams (total 133g). It feels like a huge difference and it seems that the sunrise is the easier to use for a beginner because it is heavier (although a little unbalanced).
Is it preferable to use a "heavy" one for a beginner?

I know a kendama is a wooden product and the weight will vary but is the Sunrise normally that heavy (tama ~ 80 g)?

As a sidenote I'm not impressed with the build quality of the ozora. The cups fell of within the first hour I played with it :-( It kept falling off, so now I have glued the pieces together with a small amount of super glue...

I will likely buy a TK16 to try that out as well...could anyone share their thoughts about this kendama! Are they on par with the ozora regarding weight?

What are the length of the string on your kendamas? There seems to be several cm's difference between my led light and the ozora...

Thanks!

Thanks for providing information.. I am beginner so the information really helps me lot.. Thanks again