News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Grip for swing to lighthouse (a.k.a 1-turn lighthouse)?

Started by shalafi, 07 March, 2012, 09:56:53

Previous topic - Next topic

shalafi

I have been working on this trick lately, I see at least 2 different grips.

1) Like for an aeroplane (string on top)
2) Like for a 1-turn aeroplane (string underneath the ken)

I can not say which grip is better, since I am not very good at the trick itself.

Which one do you use?
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

PAshaRome

For 1-turn airplane and for 1-turn and 2-turn lighthouse I use the Big cup on top.  This makes ken rotate. When the ken rotate for 180 grades you just pull the tama with more or less power. The same thing for 1-turn big cup lunar, but it will be small cup on top.

FilthyTown

I use the twist swing that is used for lunar/stilts and have earlier on used both methods you mentioned.  It does make a little difference mainly in how the ken will rotate, the speed of rotation in my opinion is really just pulling up correctly when the string tension is right(something that you will eventually be able to 'feel' for).

As for a grip I think it is just a standard tama-grip that most use?

SamB

I've been trying to learn all these tricks recently with both methods. The hook start (string under the big cup and pull up) is fine but I prefer an aeroplane start with a light roll off the fingers to get the cups in line and out of the way of the string.

Swing -> lighthouse is almost the same as an aeroplane just I pull slightly earlier (7 o'clock rather than 8 ) for 1-turn aeroplanes and above I add some extra twang by  using my ring finger on the bottom of the ball (so ring finger right on the bottom of the ball touching the string) to flick the string as I pull.

Really the hard part is the catch and avoiding the ken sliding and touching your thumb. I think it has been said before but this once you get the hang of it this is probably one of the most satisfying tricks to do so it's well worth the practice.
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

shalafi

Thanks for the tips. It is currently my Kettle trick, and I think I land it something like one out of 25
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

John

You use the string under the ken for 1-turn aeroplane? Never tried that! I could do with all the help I can for it, thanks for the tip!

The Void

Quote from: John on 08 March, 2012, 14:37:57You use the string under the ken for 1-turn aeroplane? Never tried that! I could do with all the help I can for it, thanks for the tip!
I used to use that method, but since being shown the Japanese method in Munich, I use that now:
String hole on top, 1/4 roll off fingertips on release, tug when small cup is facing you.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

John

Thanks for the tip, Void! For the record, that's pretty much how I do a 1-turn lighthouse too. However, I wouldn't lead by my example as my technique is relatively shoddy for anything 1-turny. Will give this a bash tomorrow, definitely.

AlexSmith

I've always used a 'string on top of ken' sort of method. I find the 'string under ken' method to be a little more unpredictable / harder to control.
Things get weird when you start trying inward pull up / flips to lighthouse though.