News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

A Kendama App for your phone

Started by shalafi, 24 August, 2011, 22:21:00

Previous topic - Next topic

shalafi

Hi there,

As you may know I earn my living by developing apps for smartphones, and I was thinking about an interesting tool for kendama playing. I have some ideas but I'd like to get other people input on what could be cool.

This app will be very minoritary, so I'll be doing it just for fun.

Some things I think are cool:

* Random trick: Challenges you to make a trick, scoring number of tries and so on. Of course, since your input is required you can always cheat.
* Speed trick: Measure how fast you can do the trick list, with a historic evolution
* "Against the kettle" a trick and a timer.
* Simulated certifications: similar to the trick lists, it keeps asking you what you need for some rating, and record how often you make it.
* Simulated knockout: Playing against simulated opponents as in a knockout division

Do you think this should be useful, or is just very geeky stuff?
Do you think something else is missing.

Pretty much anything you are now recording with pen & papper could be moved into an app.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

LarsVegas

There should be the possibility to enter and save trick ladders for competitions and to keep track of your practice results

lars
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion

AlexSmith

I like the ideas you have so far, perhaps a section of the app which presents this forum in a more mobile friendly way? (90% of the time I'm on here is from my phone). Although usually apps which simply re encode HTML have longer load times than the actual site, or maybe I just have no idea what I'm talking about because I've never done any real programming...

Things like a trick list are cool, but difficult due to the immense range of tricks and the even more immense range of names they're called.

I'll thin this over, making some sort of a community aspect to it would be neat. Allow users to upload photos or videos of their best times/tricks? Could be neat

LarsVegas

What about a metronome for Moshikame (see http://www.kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,24.msg801.html#msg801, a current discussion in the "Today I ..." thread)?

lars
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion

Damadude

Good idea imho.

Some input:

What about a tricklist with English and Japanese names and a short explanation?
Join the community @ www.facebook.com/KendamaAroundTheWorld

Buy kendama @ www.kendama.de

Peter

Nice idea! Next level (or first level?) would be to start an online community, maybe as part of the BKA-Forum, where members can exchange there last trainings results and which shows highscore lists and features like this. Would make your training more competitive :-)

The Phone App could synchronize your training efforts more easily with this community, while the online platform should also be useable for people without a smart phone.

BKA

BKA already has an iOS App in development. And now we can announce that Raul (shalafi) has now joined the project as our Android coder!

We are keeping our eyes on this thread for ideas - and some are already incorporated. We can't promise everything, but keep your eyes out for more announcements in Autumn.

Mark

British STC: 2008 - 1st ....  2009 - 2nd ... 2011 - 4th
British Advanced Championship: 2011 - 4th

By markool89 at 2011-08-06

shalafi

As it turned out, it was pointless that I try to make an android app for kendama if the BKA had plans to make one (which I didn't know when I opened the thread).

Its good that we are going to concentrate efforts in making just one, but better.

This does not invalidate what has been said here, on the contrary, it is a great source of feedback ;)

grotesquecub

I know that the app. is already in development but an idea if there was a 'head-to-head' competition aspect would be to maybe have a difficulty level of the opponent based on 'dan' gradings.

e.g. A 1st dan is expected to land around the world 25% of the time. So, 25% would be the virtual players probability of landing the trick where as a 3rd dan would be expected to hit it 100%. So you would have to match him etc.

Just an idea incorporated or not  ;D

shalafi

Quote from: grotesquecub on 28 August, 2011, 23:21:03
I know that the app. is already in development but an idea if there was a 'head-to-head' competition aspect would be to maybe have a difficulty level of the opponent based on 'dan' gradings.

e.g. A 1st dan is expected to land around the world 25% of the time. So, 25% would be the virtual players probability of landing the trick where as a 3rd dan would be expected to hit it 100%. So you would have to match him etc.

Just an idea incorporated or not  ;D

That is similar to what I had in mind for "Simulated knockout" advancing in the ladder will put better opponents ;-)

AlexSmith

I've heard people talk on Facebook of playing games of DAMA over skype. (like SKATE or HORSE)
I've never tried it but I assume it works, as people haven't seemed to abandon the idea.

If there was a community aspect to it (somethig I think would be a real selling feature, as opposed to the sort of app thats fun for a week and then you don't come back to it), would it be possible to incorporate some sort of video chat feature between players?

shalafi

Quote from: AlexSmith on 01 September, 2011, 23:43:01would it be possible to incorporate some sort of video chat feature between players?
Skype, Facebook and Google don't have an app that do proper video calling yet (on most devices) asking for something that big companies in the area that invest lots of money don't have yet it a bit of an overkill, don't you think?

I like the idea of competing over the phone, but it is completely out of the reach we are considering now. Thanks for the idea anyway.

AlexSmith

Fair enough, I wasn't sure if the coding for things like Apple's FaceTime were available. I guess since there arent any video chat apps out there I should have guessed no

sunnyD

An App that lets you take a break between 'dama sessions would be great, continue playing.....

When playing we often look to equal our own or hero's (even demon?) performances, even if we only match it with a low % chance.
So translating the rankings into a "challenge the hero in #xx position" gives us all a chance in a challenging atmosphere with random tricks. Just started with a chess program that does the same thing and that was inspiring to find an appropriate level so quickly.