News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

OG ozora clarifications?

Started by lukefunk24, 26 July, 2013, 00:34:19

Previous topic - Next topic

lukefunk24

Im sure this question is answered but i believe i have found a site that sells new og ozoras in the white packaging. is it true that an OG can be indentified by the white packaging? it would be great to know how to identify and Og ozora!
thanks

br4d24

im no authority on this, but OG ozoras have excessive amounts of lead in their paint (by todays standards) making them not allowed anymore (but amazing to play)

After doing some quick reasearch i found this:
This is the pre 2011 original model. It is not in the white packaging. If you are wondering if these are  "OG" (Original Generation) Ozora, we do not know the answer for certain. Ozora changed the packaging some time before they introduced the new paints and colours in 2011.

this is off kendama world where they still sell some "og"'s. I know there was a huge debaccle over the packaging on ogs and non og's. But i feel like thats over people getting black and saying its og when its not. Since its white packaging i would guess its a good bet, but do more research on it first if you are dropping a good amount of money. I just did a quick google search so dont buy on my opinion alone.

Asdk around the community and the packaging has less to do with it than i thought:
" Check under the paint, if there is white primer then it is not OG, if there is no primer then OG, packaging doesnt matter as long as there is no White Primer"

So there yah go! Happy buying - be sure to post a pic of your beautiful new oozora if you get it!

PS WHITE PACKAGE = OG FOR SURE (talking to people as i write this). but still check the paint to make sure someone didnt try and slip a new one in there

PikWik

hey, thanks for the clarification on the OG paint. i actually just got my marine blue from kendamaworld in the mail today! upon first glance, they looked identical. then, i read br2d24's post and when i examined the paint for the primer, it wasnt there :)
mine was a black package ozora too.

i will say, just holding the tama, the OG feels WAY stickier than my 2011 light blue. like no question stickier. my light blue ozora still has a shiny gloss finish after a months play, and is a chore to get lunars with any success. this marine blue OG ozora is gum in comparison.

one important thing i had to do was adjust/file-down the sarado so it matched my light blue ozora and tribute. both the tribute and 2011 have the exact same sarado height, but i had to "work" the OG ozora into shape. i went ahead and restrung with a colored string and glued the sarado in place. as far as gluing the tip on my OG? i dont like to coat my tip with glue, so i just glazed a bit on and then quickly mashed it in with my fingers (that didnt sound right)

i dont think ill play the light blue for awhile, tbh

PikWik

everything i posted still holds true a good day after playing! the OG ozora is so sticky in comparison to my 2011 light blue. but honestly, it kind of has me worried that the shiny/slippy new ozora paint is gonna become the norm, because that would be terrible :(

one other thing i noticed was/is how the ozora tama is an oval shape. on my 2011 light blue the oval shaped tama sits on the sarado sideways (like an egg resting on its side). this OG marine blue is an egg too, but standing up on the sarado. This makes lunars so much easier on the OG, but doesnt affect earth spins/furikens as i was landing them 3-4 in a row with no issues.

this helps explain what im talking about

very impressed with this OG paint.
2011 ozora, 1/20 for lunars.
OG ozora, 1/5 for lunars (on the first day)

GODstrument

I believe there are FOUR types of Ozora packages:

1.  "OG" or Pre-2011 production, LEAD tama paint, WHITE packaging/BLUE characters (Colors: Natural, Red, Marine Blue, Sky blue, Leaf Green, Pink)

2.  "OG" of Pre-2011 production, LEAD tama paint, BLACK & RED packaging/YELLOW characters. (Colors: Natural, Red, Marine Blue, Sky blue)

3.  The 2011-2012 Production, NO LEAD/WHITE primer tama paint, BLACK & RED packaging/YELLOW characters. (Colors: Natural, Red, Dark Blue, Light Blue Green, Yellow)

4.  The 2012-Present Production, WITHOUT LEAD with WHITE primer tama paint, BLUE packaging/BLACK characters. (Colors: Natural, Red, Dark Blue, Light Blue, Green, Yellow, Pink, Black)

From Left to Right...1. OG Wht Pkg, 2. OG Black Pkg, 3. 2011 Black Pkg, 4. 2012 Blue Pkg

AlexSmith

Its a common misconception that all the OGs have lead in their paint. I saw the recall order once online somewhere, it was just the OG green and red, along with the older black shin fujis that were recalled, if I remember correctly.

OGs rule, watch out for egg-shaped tamas though!

PikWik

thanks for the further clarifications you guys

looking at that pic with the 4 ozoras, it looks like the black packages are egg shaped tamas and the blue and white packages are rounder. while the egg shape of my OG helps land lunars easier, lighthouses are a tad trickier. but, the paint is so sticky its just a minor adjustment. earth spins and furikens are the same with my original, and overall a much more playable kendama right out the box.

BrandonYoder

My Red OG is an EGG:(
but still fun!

Thorny

Eggy tamas are a mistake and not the norm, in case there was any confusion.