Author Topic: Yoko Haneken  (Read 13108 times)

Offline The Void

• ROYALIST
  • 6th Dan / BKA#1
  • Global Moderator
  • Click Chieftan
  • Royalist. 2xBrit Champ. BKA mover. IKO'16 champ.
    • TheVoidTLMB
    • TheVoidTLMB
    • TLMB!
Yoko Haneken
« on: 21 August, 2011, 21:29:09 »
= rotor blade = ufo = sideways jumping stick.

Not diagonal jumping stick. You know who you are. :P
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Offline Thorny

• BKA#83 / 4th Dan
  • Stilt Walker
  • Find VictoryKendama on Facebook and YouTube!
    • VictoryKendama
Re: Yoko Haneken
« Reply #1 on: 21 August, 2011, 23:04:14 »
Thank you, Void - they do know who they are!  :P

Offline MasterKatra42

• Aeronaut
« Reply #2 on: 21 August, 2011, 23:35:42 »
I was wondering what the real terminology for what I called a "UFO" was.  Is it really Yoko Haneken?  That's good info!

I do try hard to keep it on plane with the ground when I try this trick.  I can see how some people do not keep their yoko haneken up to standard.  While we're at it, have you ever tried a jumping stick with a twist?  I'm not sure if that has a name (it probably does) but it just involves turning your hand like a doorknob while making the motion for a regular haneken.

Offline The Void

• ROYALIST
  • 6th Dan / BKA#1
  • Global Moderator
  • Click Chieftan
    • TheVoidTLMB
    • TheVoidTLMB
    • TLMB!
« Reply #3 on: 22 August, 2011, 13:34:10 »
Hi Joe, yeah, that's it. http://kendama.co.uk/100tricks.html for a bit more info.

I'm not sure exactly what I made this post for... it's just something I'd noticed in a few videos[1], that the ufos were noticeably tilted upwards a bit. I guess "don't do that in competition[2]" is all I'm saying.

I'd never tried the doorknob jumping stick until just now. I thought it would be an ugly trick, but it's actually quite nice. We've established that a trick where the ken is rotating around its long axis[3] is called a Tornado, so I guess this is a Tornado Jumping Stick. (Although I'd be tempted to think of it as a Corkscrew JS....) Now go and get it on video before someone else does!
 1. No, I can't remember which ones, and without going and watching a squillion videos again, I actually don't know who you are!
 2. Or not one that I'm judging, at least!
 3. (....during a transition?)
« Last Edit: 22 August, 2011, 13:35:43 by The Void »
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Offline MasterKatra42

• Aeronaut
« Reply #4 on: 22 August, 2011, 17:53:54 »
Too late, Colin Sander strikes once again.  He throws down some tornado candle, tornado jumping stick and tornado lighthouse in Kendama USA edit 8.

I've heard people call tornado lunar a barrel roll.  Is that just personal terminology, or does that have anything to do with an actual named trick?

Offline BKA

• BKA#0
  • Administrator
  • Click Chieftan
  • BKA - Spreading the kendama word since 2006!
    • BritishKendama
    • BritishKendama
    • British Kendama Association
« Reply #5 on: 22 August, 2011, 19:35:09 »
I would guess it's a term adopted from skating.

Offline AlexSmith

• 3rd Dan
  • Space Walker
    • @htimsxela
« Reply #6 on: 22 August, 2011, 21:01:23 »

I've heard people call tornado lunar a barrel roll.  Is that just personal terminology, or does that have anything to do with an actual named trick?

I've heard this too. The people I play with often call it a lunar kickflip too, seems like every group has slight variations with trick names.

Wanna get real tricky? Try a lunar 3 flip (name basically adapted from skateboarding). Lunar flip plus tornado.

Offline Cand1ez

• 1st Kyu
  • Swing-In King
  • A break from yoyo...
    • thebrillopad
    • Daisy Media Ltd
« Reply #7 on: 28 September, 2011, 14:52:09 »
not that i can do it... but i see inverted lunar to lunar as a hardflip...  its just how i think of it.

half a kickflip and half a shove it.

my skate terminology may be off here tho...

as fround upon as it may be.  skating has some really good analogies for KD tricks

Offline Harrydh3

• 1st Kyu
  • Earth Turner
« Reply #8 on: 29 September, 2011, 12:33:35 »
i call it lunar barrel roll, Never heard 'tornado lunar' before this thread lol

Offline BKA

• BKA#0
  • Administrator
  • Click Chieftan
  • BKA - Spreading the kendama word since 2006!
    • BritishKendama
    • BritishKendama
    • British Kendama Association
« Reply #9 on: 29 September, 2011, 13:25:38 »
Never heard 'tornado lunar' before this thread lol
...and yet you replied just 3 posts after this one: http://www.kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,12.msg110.html#msg110 :)

Offline MasterKatra42

• Aeronaut
« Reply #10 on: 01 December, 2012, 03:29:23 »
I was just practicing the Yoko Haneken tonight and some things were made clear.  Sometimes as I'm coming up with my knees to release, I push forward and the stick doesn't come out of the hole.  If I put a slight wrist flick with it, the ken exits cleanly.  This is really accentuated in doing an outward yoko haneken.  If you're having similar trouble, I would suggest adding a little wrist flick in the direction you want the ken to go.

What's the terminology for going the reverse direction?  Outward instead of inward.

Offline The Void

• ROYALIST
  • 6th Dan / BKA#1
  • Global Moderator
  • Click Chieftan
    • TheVoidTLMB
    • TheVoidTLMB
    • TLMB!
« Reply #11 on: 01 December, 2012, 10:42:33 »
I suppose it would be Ura Yoko Haneken, or Reverse UFO. (Ura=Reverse)

Offline the milky oolong

• BKA#62
  • Global Moderator
  • SuperDan
« Reply #12 on: 02 December, 2012, 22:30:32 »
On a similar note, is there a term for a Jumping Stick where the motion is left-right instead of up-down? Maybe this isn't clear enough - I mean, when the ken leaves the tama and 'cartwheels' before being caught again? Maybe it's just the same, but I tend to see people doing Jumping Stick with the plane of motion being vertical/longitudinal, if that's not stretching the description too far. I often practise this 'Cartwheel Jumping Stick' and find it has a nice aesthetic about it (excuse the kendama neologism of Cartwheel JS).

Any comments?
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

Offline bonzatron

• Swing-In King
« Reply #13 on: 03 December, 2012, 01:07:27 »
ive been calling that trick rainbow but i dont know the real terminology so dont quote me on that

Offline The Void

• ROYALIST
  • 6th Dan / BKA#1
  • Global Moderator
  • Click Chieftan
    • TheVoidTLMB
    • TheVoidTLMB
    • TLMB!
« Reply #14 on: 03 December, 2012, 11:12:03 »
If you mean the spin is in the line-of-the shoulders plane (to your side) instead of the through-the-spine-and-the-nose plane (in front of you), then it's still just a Jumping Stick. If you mean something else... Then sorry, but I don't understand. Video?

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal