Author Topic: Clifftop  (Read 3087 times)

Offline fredCP

• BKA#58
  • Lighthouse Keeper
Clifftop
« on: 10 July, 2014, 09:10:49 »
Hi everyone,

A question about trick names : I know what Clifftop is, but what is the name of the similar trick when the string hole is facing downwards and you make a kind of Slip Grip Special on the Base Cup edge ?

Fred

Offline The Void

• ROYALIST
  • 6th Dan / BKA#1
  • Global Moderator
  • Click Chieftan
  • Royalist. 2xBrit Champ. BKA mover. IKO'16 champ.
    • TheVoidTLMB
    • TheVoidTLMB
    • TLMB!
Re: Clifftop
« Reply #1 on: 10 July, 2014, 19:01:10 »
It's still Clifftop, just a different way of getting into it.
If you don't want to buy my books, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Offline fredCP

• BKA#58
  • Lighthouse Keeper
« Reply #2 on: 11 July, 2014, 08:38:50 »
Thanks, Void ! Speeking of Clifftop, I saw you (in Still seaking six) and Mr Jumpshoe in one of his edits, doing a Clifftop Nod Off and On, that's a great trick !

Offline The Void

• ROYALIST
  • 6th Dan / BKA#1
  • Global Moderator
  • Click Chieftan
  • Royalist. 2xBrit Champ. BKA mover. IKO'16 champ.
    • TheVoidTLMB
    • TheVoidTLMB
    • TLMB!
« Reply #3 on: 11 July, 2014, 09:32:30 »
Thanks. That one took a while! :)
If you don't want to buy my books, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Offline the milky oolong

• BKA#62
  • Global Moderator
  • SuperDan
« Reply #4 on: 11 July, 2014, 13:43:16 »
Hey [user]fredCP[/user],

Try getting into Clifftop from a kind of Gunslinger position, index finger under the small cup, middle finger under the big cup (helps if you press your thumb against the spike to keep the ken straight) - from there you can flip to Small Bird, hop to Slip Grip, or just catch a low Turn In!
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

Offline fredCP

• BKA#58
  • Lighthouse Keeper
« Reply #5 on: 11 July, 2014, 19:08:32 »
That's a good idea to start with this grip, especially to get into a small bird. I'll give it a try, thank you  :)

Offline AlexSmith

• 3rd Dan
  • Space Walker
    • @htimsxela
« Reply #6 on: 29 July, 2014, 10:28:23 »
I like this trick a lot! Me and my friends always called it 'grip stall' - in retrospect I'm not really sure why. I guess it just rhymed with 'slip stall'?

Now I hear most people in N America refer to it as handle stall, cliff top doesn't seem to be as popular over here.

Offline the milky oolong

• BKA#62
  • Global Moderator
  • SuperDan
« Reply #7 on: 30 July, 2014, 09:26:09 »
Though I am sure The Void and BKA would like to keep things standardized for the purposes of the forum and I suppose for competitions, I think that's a pretty natural process. My Berlin players say '... Cup, Bird, Lighthouse, Spike (sometimes Stick), Lunar. Everything else is useless, even when I translate the difficult ones directly (try finding a good German translation for Beckoning Cat). Still, as long as everyone's clear on the standard names I think it can work just like formal and informal terms; your proper names for the comps, your slang names for your bros.

Watch me do a Klippe, or Cigar Balance, or Cliff Richard, or Lemming Stall, or whatever it's called, in ken grip:

Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

Offline BKA

• BKA#0
  • Administrator
  • Click Chieftan
  • BKA - Spreading the kendama word since 2006!
    • BritishKendama
    • BritishKendama
    • British Kendama Association
« Reply #8 on: 30 July, 2014, 15:12:06 »
Cliff Richard! :D

Offline AlexSmith

• 3rd Dan
  • Space Walker
    • @htimsxela
« Reply #9 on: 06 August, 2014, 09:31:17 »
Though I am sure The Void and BKA would like to keep things standardized for the purposes of the forum and I suppose for competitions, I think that's a pretty natural process. My Berlin players say '... Cup, Bird, Lighthouse, Spike (sometimes Stick), Lunar. Everything else is useless, even when I translate the difficult ones directly (try finding a good German translation for Beckoning Cat). Still, as long as everyone's clear on the standard names I think it can work just like formal and informal terms; your proper names for the comps, your slang names for your bros.

Watch me do a Klippe, or Cigar Balance, or Cliff Richard, or Lemming Stall, or whatever it's called, in ken grip:

As long as you're communicating effectively with whomever you're speaking with, mission accomplished.

I do them normal (ken) grip a lot, but when I catch it the spike is facing away and to the right for me. I've always thought your way (spike straight away from you) looked really nice. Very delicate.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal