News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

KCN or KC Winner II?

Started by Versamerica, 30 May, 2012, 06:09:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Versamerica

I was wondering if anyone had input for both kens who've played with them back to back or had a good amount of play time with them.

I've played with a KC Winner II before and I did like it, but unfortunately it was a Sauce so I wouldn't have been able to judge how the balance felt for me (not saying Sauces are bad). Overall, the feel kept me happy.

I'd appreciate any information any could give, thanks a bunch.

AlexSmith

There are two different KCN Battle kendamas - first generation and second generation. The first gen ones had rounded slip and grip stalls, and a different profile overall. The second gen kens and spikes are fatter, and the slip/grip stalls are much sharper.

If you want  lunar dama don't buy a Battle, but I like em for anything else really. The first gens were awesome for birds/grips/stilts/etc, but you gotta break em in a bit first. I've had 4 first gen battles and I really like 3 of the 4 [The last one the tama is kinda oblong :( ]. I have a second gen too and so far I like it, but I've only had it a couple weeks so far.

KC Winners are probably closest in feel to second generation battles. I've only had one, but I played it a fair bit, its a Red-Gold. It was good for lunars for like a week randomly, otherwise its just been a pretty decent dama overall. I have one of the Blue w/ Gold Flakes pro model Winner IIs as well, but I've never played it. I just think it looks sick.

Versamerica

Thanks for the reponse! I really want to try out a KCN at the moment. I checked them out at Terra and want to try out a first gen, but they are looking kind of pricey. If anything, I'll just grab a 2nd gen.

I'm still in a debate of what I want to play with, but I'm not in a huge rush to buy a new ken. Thanks for the information and I"ll keep reading up whatever there is. But what do you like better, the first gen or second gen for KCN Battles ?

AlexSmith

Quote from: Versamerica on 31 May, 2012, 07:50:14
I'm still in a debate of what I want to play with, but I'm not in a huge rush to buy a new ken. Thanks for the information and I"ll keep reading up whatever there is. But what do you like better, the first gen or second gen for KCN Battles ?
(Quick disclaimer: I'm one of the people who helps run Terra, btw)
The first/second gen Battles are fairly different, and I've only had a couple weeks to try out the second gen. Because of that its hard to say which generation of ken I like more. So far I like my second gen though, compared to most other companies it has a fatter and slightly shorter spike on average, but still plays well. I have a yellow first gen KCN thats one of my all-time favourites - there's hardly any paint left on it and its been left out in the rain for a whole night on at least one occasion, but it still plays great. That thing is a real tank haha. Like I said, there is variability between KCN kens, but on average I've always been a fan.

Greg the Strangler

I love the KC Winner IIs (hence my statement to the left). They are a really great kendama that area always overlooked in America because they are not sold by KenUSA or Kendama-Bro.

I have a Sauce in addition to an unfinished one, they are both great. I don't follow why you wouldn't be able to get a feel for the balance from the Sauce? I expect you are more interested in hearing about their tamas stock paint, in which case I cant help you. I'm always encouraging people to do hybrids and put the balls they like on the kens they like. I've been playing a WINNER II with a Yumu black ball recently. straight ca$h!
January–Kengarden Beginner Champion
May–Kengarden Intermediate Champion
December–Kengarden Advanced Champion

Versamerica

Quote from: AlexSmith on 31 May, 2012, 22:25:51
Quote from: Versamerica on 31 May, 2012, 07:50:14
(Quick disclaimer: I'm one of the people who helps run Terra, btw)
The first/second gen Battles are fairly different, and I've only had a couple weeks to try out the second gen. Because of that its hard to say which generation of ken I like more. So far I like my second gen though, compared to most other companies it has a fatter and slightly shorter spike on average, but still plays well. I have a yellow first gen KCN thats one of my all-time favourites - there's hardly any paint left on it and its been left out in the rain for a whole night on at least one occasion, but it still plays great. That thing is a real tank haha. Like I said, there is variability between KCN kens, but on average I've always been a fan.

I'm getting what you're saying. Luckily today, two of my buddies have the first and second gen KCNs, the Rasta and a purple 2nd gen. I can really tell the difference, especially with the ken being a huge difference in width. I was only able to play for about an hour for the 2nd gen and the first gen only about 20 minutes today, so I wouldn't have much to say. But I really appreciate your help into helping me look into the KCNs a lot better, I might pick one up from Terra some time soon! Or if the Terra Kens come back this summer, I'll start to save up. I'm sure you would have an estimate to when they will be back?

And oh, I ordered a yellow KCN from your guys' website around two weeks ago, it was the first one that was taken from full stock, haha. To Reuben? It was for a friend, so I've never opened it since he's out of the state. Thanks and let me know !

Versamerica

Quote from: Greg the Strangler on 01 June, 2012, 04:53:20
I love the KC Winner IIs (hence my statement to the left). They are a really great kendama that area always overlooked in America because they are not sold by KenUSA or Kendama-Bro.

I have a Sauce in addition to an unfinished one, they are both great. I don't follow why you wouldn't be able to get a feel for the balance from the Sauce? I expect you are more interested in hearing about their tamas stock paint, in which case I cant help you. I'm always encouraging people to do hybrids and put the balls they like on the kens they like. I've been playing a WINNER II with a Yumu black ball recently. straight ca$h!

Actually you're right, I've been wanting to know how it feels on stock paint. The sauce helped me too much, so I wasn't sure to how the paint played or where my balance would be with certain tricks on the ken. Overall, I really did like the feel of the KC Winner II. I checked out The Void's photo review on KC Winners, and it seemed like the paint was chipping REAL fast. So that made me a bit uneasy, but not to the point where I would completely disagree with the kendama. Let me know what else you think about KC Winners, man. I like to hear new things and reviews about kendamas all the time .