News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

How much practise?

Started by happygoat, 28 January, 2013, 10:44:53

Previous topic - Next topic

happygoat

Just interested to know how many min/hours of effort you put into playing kendama on a daily basis...

When I see the uploaded edits and the pro guys performing I just wonder if I ever will be able to reach that level. If  it is just a question of determination and training or more of a talent thing?!

So, to reformulate...it could be nice to hear what level you are on and how much practise you have put into reaching this..

The Void

For me, it varies a lot. I certainly try to get a 30 minute practice session in each day, but often life gets in the way, and it can be 5, 1 or 0. Usually when I meet up with other clickers, I'll do a lot, maybe 3-5 hours, but those days are all too rare. And when I'm running a competition, it's unfortunately approximately zero.

Try to always make the most of your practices - use good technique, and learn from your mistakes. But above all, have fun! If it's become a chore, why bother?
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

SamB

I've noticed a huge improvement when I've played a lot for a long time (like a few hours a day for a week), also big improvement when trying the same trick over and over again for a really long time. Otherwise I basically have kendamas all over my flat and in my office so any time I'm almost bored I will play. this probably adds up to half an hour to an hour most days. After 3 years of this I've noticed I've slowly become more consistent in every trick and pick up new ones easier. Learning really difficult tricks though seems to require solid blocks of trying that one trick over and over and over.

Basically kendama has just become art of my day to day life so I don't really practice. But, the more I try the better I get, faster. I would never want to class playing kendama as "work" though so I wouldn't play because I have to practice or schedule some kendama time, I just play when I feel like it.
It's probably worth going through the youtube archives of dutchkendama or Colin Sander to see the rate they improved over the past 5 years or so. The pros didn't just pick up kendamas and were instantly awesome, they've played for a very long time and worked hard to be awesome.
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

donald grant

I don't practise as much as I should, I guess.  But if I'm at home, I'll usually have at least a couple of fifteen minute sessions a day.
Best practise tip is don't leave your ken in the bottom of your bag.  Always put it somewhere where you can see it and you'll be more likely to pick it up and have a quick noodle.  Also, if you have more than one, keep one in the kitchen, then you've got something to do while waiting for the kettle/ toaster/ microwave.  Or to distract you from that mountain of washing up........

jackmccloskey

Ive been playing for a little over a year now, and when I started, I literally would play for about 2 to 3 hours a day. This slowed down eventually to where I am now, playing about an hour a day.
I like Tacos and/or Burritos

LarsVegas

I try to take my Kendama with me, wherever I go. Also and especially when business travelling. I find it nice to have some exercise in otherwise boring hotels in the evening, before going to sleep.

Yet, this time I forgot to pack it into my bag: I'm heading for Japan tonight and not only forgot my money (which I can exchange at the airport anyway), but also forgot my favourite Kendama - can you imagine this?
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion

BKA

Of all the countries to be travelling to without a kendama, Japan is probably the best!

LarsVegas

Sometimes I can't complain about my boss :) He gave me a lift to the airport and guess what: We stopped by my place, grabbed the money, something for my cough and ... the Kendama! Already had a truly Japanese session tonight.

Japan might be the best place to go to without Kendama, but I hardly have any time to get me one. My days are filled with working and eating (with the Japanese colleagues). Frankly, I'm here now the 7th time but still don't know where I could get some toys.
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion