News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

The ever popular "Today I..." thread

Started by BatDancer, 04 July, 2011, 21:24:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Toby

Quote from: Thorny on 25 November, 2011, 22:30:59
Yesterday I managed to successfully (after many attempts)

Rosuko Bird - Over the Valley - Throw both tama and ken in the air, grab the ken in ken grip and - Bird - Over the Valley - Spike :)

How is it possible to catch a bird while holding the spike?
SRC 2011 Moshi Kame Champion

The Void

I suspect Thorny may mean catching a Bat whilst holding the spike? The Japanese name for this translates as Monkey's Chair, although before I heard this, and because it is the first part of "Everest", in my book, I called it Base Camp.

Or he means something else.....?
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

The Void

Or perhaps more likely, (now I think about it):
Candle, to Bird ....?
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Thorny

Well, it would be how you'd do a Bat (a.k.a. Underbird etc) in ken grip.

The reason I called it Rosoku Bird is because you can't have a Rosoku Bat (to my understanding). I'm sure if I'm wrong Void will set things straight. :)

Adam K

Got a stupid one for you today.
It's a tomeken, but pinching the bottom of the spike (above the sarado) rather than pinching under the sarado. Similar to rousoku, but held with the spike pointing up. The ball ends up resting on your thumb and first finger. Funny little thing

Also got gunslinger tomeken to gunslinger earth turn. WOOHOO! Does this still count if I had to do a tiny grip switch after the tomeken (the gunsling lands me in ken grip)?

BKA

Well, you weren't in a competition when you did it, so there are no specific 'rules' to follow. If you did it, it counts!

As for the 'pinched spike' (or whatever you want to call it).... where do you go from there?!

Adam K

Quote from: BKA on 28 November, 2011, 15:40:35
<snip>
As for the 'pinched spike' (or whatever you want to call it).... where do you go from there?!
Well, I didn't go anywhere from that originally, but I just got a tomeken to earth, an around the village, and a tapback all in that grip. Possibly the strangest feeling I've ever had while playing kendama.

Thorny

Quote from: The Void on 26 November, 2011, 22:07:28
I suspect Thorny may mean catching a Bat whilst holding the spike? The Japanese name for this translates as Monkey's Chair, although before I heard this, and because it is the first part of "Everest", in my book, I called it Base Camp.

Or he means something else.....?

Oase graciously demonstrates what I was talking about in his fifth edit, at 2:52 - 3:03.

timfromtexas

Dope trick and a really dope edit. I expected this type of edit to come out on the Kendama co beats contest but none of the ones I watched were like that. (sorry for a mini hijack)

DrJochum

Today I landed on the moon for the first time (in my three minutes tee cooking break)!  8)

I should never have practiced with my old Kendama for such a long time. The brink of the cup is so demolished an notched. This is so hard.

If you want to learn moon landing use a new sticky kendama!!

Body and mind - Kendama and Shogi

hater

Today I landed ( don't know the right name to this) a lighthouse to spike (180 ken flip) and to lighthouse again (180 ken flip) I was really amazed, because 3 days ago I was not able to consistently land lighthouse and I have been only playing for about 6 weeks :D

The Void

hater: Falling Down, to Lighthouse . This is one that you can keep repeating, endlessly!

Jochen: You never forget your first Moon Landing[nb]Or so Neil Armstrong tells me ;)[/nb]!

Adam K

I was playing kendama during a huge break between exams today, and tried suicide handroll to spike on a whim, not expecting to get even close. I got it on my second try to the tune of a couple of onlookers and a bunch of high fives! Needless to say, my confidence going into the next test skyrocketed.

Toby

SRC 2011 Moshi Kame Champion

The Void

Cool, I remember trying 2-turn gunslinger furiken. I managed it with a Performer, but not with a standard kd, but I think Looby did.