News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

The ever popular "Today I..." thread

Started by BatDancer, 04 July, 2011, 21:24:24

Previous topic - Next topic

BKA

Quote from: AlexSmith on 21 December, 2011, 11:56:32
Quote from: hater on 20 December, 2011, 23:03:28
Today I landed a combo, but I'm not sure of the name of the last move. Aeroplane to lighthouse to ¿throw the tama upwards, grab the ken and spike? I was really amazed!! :D
lighthouse to spike, if you just keep holding the tama and spike it then it would be called lighthouse in or falling down
Yes, either "Aeroplane to Lighthouse[nb]"Aeroplane to Lighthouse" is also called "Build the Lighthouse", if you want to save 2 syllables![nb]"Knees!", p18.[nb]Oh look, you can nest footnotes![/nb][/nb][/nb] to Spike", or "Aeroplane to Lighthouse to Fast Hand Spike".

"Fast Hand" tells you that you quickly switched between holding the tama to the holding the ken (or vice versa).
"Fast Throw" tells you that you did a Fast Hand move by throwing the held part up while the other part was flying.

Thorny

Quote from: AlexSmith on 21 December, 2011, 11:56:32
Quote from: hater on 20 December, 2011, 23:03:28
Today I landed a combo, but I'm not sure of the name of the last move. Aeroplane to lighthouse to ¿throw the tama upwards, grab the ken and spike? I was really amazed!! :D
[/quote

lighthouse to spike, if you just keep holding the tama and spike it then it would be called lighthouse in or falling down

I usually say "Lighthouse - Kenspike" to save confusion between "Lighthouse - Spike" whilst talking to friends... we tend to say 'spike' meaning 'Falling Down.'

Mark

I just got orbit earthturn on my 3rd try of it!
British STC: 2008 - 1st ....  2009 - 2nd ... 2011 - 4th
British Advanced Championship: 2011 - 4th

By markool89 at 2011-08-06

donald grant

Just amused myself by landing thumb trap - lighthouse - thumb trap in front of the mirror.  Merry Christmas to you all!

Donald

hater

6 bird over the valley!! never landed it before  8)

BKA

That definitely sounds like you've got the hang of it. Well done!  :)

hater

Thx!! I'm still improving it, when I land it in the small cup I have to put a strange angle to land it. This hapened to me with bird when I learned it, but will improve it :)

Lately I'm really improving a lot, when I can do more consistently y latest tricks, I will try Lunar. I think it's one of the more hard tricks to learn...Or at least I think so.

Thorny

Quote from: hater on 27 December, 2011, 20:21:17
Thx!! I'm still improving it, when I land it in the small cup I have to put a strange angle to land it. This hapened to me with bird when I learned it, but will improve it :)

Lately I'm really improving a lot, when I can do more consistently y latest tricks, I will try Lunar. I think it's one of the more hard tricks to learn...Or at least I think so.

Nice! Glad to hear that people are getting better! And yes, you're right... Lunar is a tricky one to master!

Recently, I've been experimenting with different cup juggling tricks. I've started to get the hang of Gunslinger in Sara Grip and even managed to achieve a Shooting Heaven!  ;D

Mark

Whats shooting heaven? Close to stabbing heaven?
British STC: 2008 - 1st ....  2009 - 2nd ... 2011 - 4th
British Advanced Championship: 2011 - 4th

By markool89 at 2011-08-06

Thorny

Quote from: Mark on 27 December, 2011, 23:27:29
Whats shooting heaven? Close to stabbing heaven?

It's my adopted nickname for Stabbing Heaven with a swift Gunslinger before you stab the tama, Mark. :P
I like the name haha... Along with other Gunslinger named tricks, like Shoot The World: - Around The World with a Gunslinger between each cup catch and the spike.

Peter

First one for "Today I..." of 2012? :-)

So, for Today, I made some Toudais...

... first time ever, the suicide swing in toudai... this was after a hundred times of try and error, all near to it, but finally, one hit! Grab the ball, then twist a bit, and land it as smooth as you can. Well, thanks to the climate change, it was a sunny and warm afternoon with the children's on the playground at one of this nice seas around  Munich, ...

...and then, first time ever, the Tsurushi Toudai - this one was quite spooky, landed at the second time... still can't believe it.

Now back to Earth turns...

Buddhaprice

today I landed...... a bird over the valley, around europe, and a ken flip spike with BOTH hands in succession,, It was a milestone in my kendama playing for sure   8) 

GbH

All this talk of gradings and certificates has prompted me to have a go at doing the self-certification thing.  My attempt on Saturday 'got' me Pre-Advanced, yesterday I completed 1st Dan (yeah, with the moshi's, done to a metronome at that right speed...) and just now, in my lunch break, I got right through 2nd Dan.  I guess that means by Friday I'll have got 6th!  Well, maybe not!  I might try for the 3rd one tomorrow, but I'm not optimistic about my chances on that. 

Of course, it's always going to be much easier when there's not a judge standing sternly in front of you.  I imagine that in a real situation, another onset of GWLS is going to be quite likely.   :(

Guy

* GbH Wobbly Lighthouse Syndrome

The Void

Well done Guy.
Yes, 1st and 2nd Dan are definitely "within sight" of a player with a competent skill level and some self-certifying practice sessions behind them. Adding the higher Moshi count and the Speed Trick B with its extra clock pressure means the higher ones take a lot of work.
I currently feel like I could pass 4th on a good day, and 5th only on an exceptional day, downhill and with the wind behind me. 6th I think is still out of my sight.

#oneshot #consistency[nb]Oh, wait, wrong media...[/nb]
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

grotesquecub

managing to consistently (1/5) get:

1 turn areoplane> single jumping stick > double jumping stick

also caught my first stilts>in ...very weird sensation, but hey, winning is winning ;D