News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Around Tunbridge Wells

Started by Dave, 01 November, 2011, 21:52:37

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexSmith

Appropriate reaction! Congrats Sam
How many people is that now? 2 or 3?

shalafi

Sam, you are overreacting in the video... actually No, I'll probably do the same :)

Congrats!
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

SamB

Thanks!
Absolutely not overreacting, I've been practicing on and off for about a week and it took rather a long time in the kitchen last night!
Dave and I have done it on video, I think Matty and Johnny Malcolm have got it off camera as well.
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

The Void

Awesome work Sam! Congrats. I shall have to keep cracking away at it until I get it too.

By the way, I may have forgotten to mention when I sold it to you that that walnut Jupiter Sunrise has magic powers... ;)

Well done again.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

shalafi

Quote from: SamB on 08 November, 2012, 11:48:13
Thanks!
Absolutely not overreacting
I know, I was teasing you just a bit :)
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

SamB

Just some tips if you are going to try it:

Penguin <-> small cup is like a backhand moshi kame.
Penguin <-> base cup is a big move but I think of it it like base cup is low and penguin is high so you go high to low, or low to high, they aren't on the same level.
Penguin -> spike is the hardest move so practice that.
There are A LOT of earth turns so you have to be really consistent with those (a good smooth sharp spike is helpful here).
Getting the string twisted up is a real pain, especially later on after a few earth turns, so start with nothing twisted at all, and try to not spin the ball at all between the cup catches so you can keep minimal twisting for when you're up to the last two sections (HOLE CONTROL). A lot of my fails were on the last section where the string got all caught up and it affects the ball rotation.

And obviously... KNEES! It's amazing what poor throws can be caught just by getting low.

Like Dave said before the great thing is now I have it on record I don't have to do it again! Good luck!
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

MasterKatra42

I had some time on my hands, figured I'd try for ATW.  I came pretty damn close.

The Void

Mwuhahahaha, one step behind my best fail. Welcome to the purgatory room. Pull up a chair, take a coffee, and weep quietly into it.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

SamB

I think I could've made exactly the same video just with a lot more swearing.
Clear an evening, keep at it and you'll get there!

MasterKatra42

I failed again.  Last penguin/spike/earth turn.  THREE TIMES.  If I ever get this, I might actually be happy with my life.

The Void

Nice work!
Man, I really have to get to work on this....

SamB

There has been recent momentum in conquering  Tunbridge Wells from facebook. It has fallen twice more:

The Americans are coming!

BKA

Wow, well done to both of them. (Although "tsk" at Brandon, as he's a forum member and didn't post it here! :-/)

ThomasL

I just joined the forum when getting a message back from BKA on facebook, i was going to post my video but thanks for posting it anyways! very challenging trick, took me a month!