News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

1-turn tips

Started by Tetsuya Takahashi, 10 April, 2013, 03:17:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Tetsuya Takahashi

Does anyone have any tips for stuff like 1 turn lighthouses an airplanes?

br4d24

upping tutorial now

Kev

Quote from: Tetsuya Takahashi on 10 April, 2013, 03:17:59
Does anyone have any tips for stuff like 1 turn lighthouses an airplanes?

You can buy the excellent 'Spike' & 'Knees' books here: http://www.kendama.co.uk/store.html

And watch The Void & Donald Grant's tutorials on Juggling TV

happygoat

@Brad.

Please post a link here, when the tut is ready..  8)

br4d24

happygoat

Quote from: Kev on 10 April, 2013, 08:23:45
You can buy the excellent 'Spike' & 'Knees' books here: http://www.kendama.co.uk/store.html

Wouldn't it be nice, if it was possible to buy a PDF version of these books to carry on your smart phone :)

Tetsuya Takahashi

Thanks that tutorial helped a lot !! I finally landed it! Mwahahaha

br4d24

Awesome! Glad i could help! Congrats on the 1 turn!

JamesFM

I don't know if this is right, but I let my ring finger rest on the string when I grip the tama. This allows me much more control while flipping the ken.

br4d24

i dont usually do that unless im doing pull up tricks, to prevent the string from coming out the hole.

If that works for yah then its right in my opinion! This trick is all about the proper swing so whatever helps right!

the milky oolong

Quote from: JamesFM on 12 April, 2013, 05:55:42
I don't know if this is right, but I let my ring finger rest on the string when I grip the tama. This allows me much more control while flipping the ken.

From an earlier discussion, I think that starting with the finger on the string (I think of this as a 'trigger', really does change the way the ken flips) would be considered a 'foul' in BKA/JKA terms, though I can't be certain. I think that manipulating the string under the tama after start would be allowed, but better check with BKA/Void/any of the examiners here on the board. Personally I abandoned this technique; after becoming more familiar with 1-Turns and Hanging 1-Turns, it stopped being any real help.

Just to give my two groats' worth, 1-Turn Lighthouse - 'pop up' from your knees and release just before the highest point, and follow the ken through the air moving the tama. Don't know about anyone else but my 1-Turns were terribly inconsistent (had repeatedly landed it but would sometimes go for days with no joy) until I stopped thinking of them having an Aeroplane landing.

1-Turn Aeroplane - for some reason I find this trick easier than 1-Turn Lighthouse. My only tips are focus (as in, really focus, eye-ball the meeting point of ken and tama) and be ready to catch lower than you think, which I suppose is another way of saying 'knees'. Oh, and don't hammer it, unless you want to catch the 1-Turn with your forehead/chin/nose. As much as spectators may enjoy it, tends to give the player less-than-satisfactory results.
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate