News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

The ever popular "Today I..." thread

Started by BatDancer, 04 July, 2011, 21:24:24

Previous topic - Next topic

The Void

Today I filmed a bunch of nice stuff for my first proper solo kendama video.

I also had my best ever attempt at self-certifying myself as 6th Dan, only failing on 2-Turn Lighthouse by one. Still a long way to go to solidify it, my Android KendamApp still has 4 orange tricks right now....
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

the milky oolong

Hey Void, I dare to speak for everyone when I say that we are all looking forward greatly to the day that footage is released! Messrs. Grant and Jumpshoe have been prolific with the filming, and of course Brad is doing a great job of documenting his phenomenal progress. All that is missing is more of the Void! (and yes, I am aware of the irony of not having anything to bring to the plate myself, but I have spent time scouring the JTV archives for more of your solid stuff!)

Today I bought a Sunrise kendama and had a good long session with it to wear it in; at first, the ken felt unwieldy and the tama much too heavy in comparison, the string too long - as if everything was out of kilter. I stuck with it and am now addicted to the crisp 'clack' of 1-Turn stuff landing home, landing Lunars which seem like they're way too steep toward me, and really punching through penguin-caught Downspikes. Well worth it! Thanks to Donald for the recommendation for Just Juggling in Zossenerstraße; the owner is a stubborn English speaker and wanted to know what the scene was like for kendama at the moment to see if he should buy in more models/brands; I directed him to the forum to find out more.

Good day all in all!

Oo
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

br4d24

Yess! Void I cant wait for your video to come out, I have a feeling it will be of the same calibre as Donalds last two videos - maybe more impressive? (filmed over longer timespan)

Also thats great to hear about the sunrise Milky! I am personally thinking of getting one myself after my first custom is completed (cream white tama with orange stained stripe and thin black outline, gloss overcoat) by flow kendamas!

Do sunrises have the same paint inconsistencies as other damas do? Is there any colors that may be more favorable or is that all just a big myth.

emagdnim

Just got Spike and Knees, so i think I am going to have a fun night:)

the milky oolong

Took the new Sunrise to the park for sundown. After about an hour of constant perseverance and a lot of cursing, finally landed Around the Pitfall. The only point where anyone looked was at my totally-emasculated whelp of joy at the final JS. Squeek!

Oops, sorry, Brad, almost forgot. I've got no idea about the paint jobs in comparison; the neon green tama is now very dirty and has worn really well after two days, but maybe that's got a lot to do with the fact I'm pounding it with Downspikes, Scoop-Spikes and Stabbing Heaven right now. It seems to have a bit more of a naturally 'grippy' texture than my first kendama (feel free to despair of me; no idea of the make, relatively small with red tama, official stamp, came in a package like a disposable toothbrush, Japanese script for the logo, illustrated little booklet). Perhaps someone else who actually has a collection could help you out there.
Kendama Berlin

br4d24

Tell me the color of the official seal and i can tell yah the brand :)

Kev

Today I started learning and landing 1-turn lighthouses! ;D

AND Also

I got to One Shot - Kyu 1!

(This actually happened in quite a cool way. A guy came over asking 'hey what's that?' about my Kendama, I explained and showed him some tricks starting with the beginners trick ladder and just landed each one one after the other right up to (and including) the Moshis. He seemed pretty impressed and I think we may have a new convert!).

Good day all round.

Espresso reward shot coming up.

8)

Cliffdama

Finall landed lighthouse -> bamboo horse -> lunar. And... Missed the spike :(. The plus is i landed it on a almost new yellow ozora! Best buy so far for me. 3more coming in for custom paints!

the milky oolong

Quote from: br4d24 on 24 May, 2013, 21:09:37
Tell me the color of the official seal and i can tell yah the brand :)

Gold ringed with green. I say official; it looks like a kendama, it plays like a kendama, it sounds like a kendama, but come to think of it, the people selling them had less idea of what they were than I did, so who knows!

Congratulations Kev, such a great trick to get down solid. Cliff - Still damn amazing stuff, man, I think Dave had a video somewhere about the pains of missing the spike after a great run, so at least one can say it happens to the best of us.
Kendama Berlin

br4d24

Like this ones seal? Its a tk if so - really good kendama, debatably as good as an oozora.

Tetsuya Takahashi

Today I achieved third Dan at my lunch break. I'm really stoked and I barely got the one turn airplane and 500 moshi kame.

br4d24

500! that just seems a little excessive. Literally have to have some good arm strength and endurance to pull that off. PS for moshi kame is it counted 1 for each cup contact or for each complete 2 cup trick?

Kev

Quote from: br4d24 on 25 May, 2013, 07:25:12
500! that just seems a little excessive.

500 is just what you need for 3rd Dan. It's 1000 for 4th! Eek!

Quote from: br4d24 on 25 May, 2013, 07:25:12
PS for moshi kame is it counted 1 for each cup contact or for each complete 2 cup trick?

1 for each cup I believe.

Tetsuya Takahashi

Tetsuya Takahashi

Landed earth turn to bird on my enjyu. I was soooooo stoked!!!