News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

CONSISTENCY VIDEO COMPETITION II !!!!!

Started by SamB, 01 October, 2011, 13:10:27

Previous topic - Next topic

SamB

FRIDAY 7TH OCTOBER 19:00 BST (ish) !!!!!

Following on from Donald's first consistency challenge I'm in the process of devising a series of tricks to put your kendama skills to the test!

On Friday, at about 7pm I'm going to post up a ladder of tricks.  The first person to post a perfect run of the ladder in this thread wins.  It's that simple.  So no editing, no cuts, no sneakiness, just a clean run of the tricks in order wins! As shown by my attempt in the first contest quality is not much of an issue.

The winner gets......
1) A signed original piece of artwork from the masterpiece book "Knees!  Further Adventures in Kendama" from Donald
2) A chomp
3) A mystery prize from me!
and most importantly...
3) The honour and right to create a new ladder of ten tricks for the next round

Competition is open to anyone, internationally.

Get your cameras ready and watch this space.....

-Sam
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

The Void

7pm? No daylight shooting 'til the next day[nb]Anyone going to the Manchester convention? I probably won't be[/nb] for me then. (Fair enough - I guess that's always going to be true for someone in the world.)

Quote3) A mystery prize from me!
and most importantly...
3) The honour and right to create a new ladder of ten tricks for the next round

3 & 3? That gives away what the mystery prize is then. ;)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Peter

COME ON! it is after 19:00 BST!!! my camcorder is running :-)

SamB

OK here it is! Tricky trick list to test your skills.
I've written clarifications underneath because some of it is non-standard.

HALLEY'S COMBO[nb]
Had a bit of a space theme so I named it after Halley of Halley's Comet fame. I imagine he'd enjoy kendama if he had one in 1700.[/nb]

1. Around the world
    (small cup -> big cup -> base cup -> spike)

2. Orbit 5 x (in same direction)
    (Big (or small) cup -> orbit -> big cup -> orbit -> big cup -> orbit -> big cup -> orbit -> big cup -> orbit -> big cup)
    [String control!]

3. Earth turn
    (Swing in -> earth turn)

4. Around the cosmos
   (Slip-on-stick -> small cup -> spike -> big cup -> spike -> base cup -> spike)
   [Hole control!]

5. Reverse earth turn
    (reverse swing-in -> earth turn opposite direction to before)

6. Reverse orbit 5 x
    (As above but in opposite direction)

7. Reverse around the world
   (Spike -> base cup -> big cup -> small cup)

8. Lighthouse 360!
    (lighthouse -> hold for 3 seconds -> turn yourself 360 on the spot balancing the lighthouse all the way round -> hold for 3 seconds)
    [Balance!]

That's it! First to post a video of the combo in this thread wins these fantastic prizes:

Prizes! by samuelrbradley, on Flickr

PLUS some awesome artwork from Donald

PLUS the honor to set the next consistency challenge!

If for some reason there is a tie i.e. videos posted within 15mins of each other the one with the coolest 360 will win so bear that in mind!

GO!!!

BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

SamB

Apologies for the delay. I was trying to embed a picture...
Didn't figure it out. Any ideas?

The Void

You sir, are evil! Well, that's certainly a challenge.....
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

The Void

Quote from: SamB on 07 October, 2011, 19:20:06
Apologies for the delay. I was trying to embed a picture...
Didn't figure it out. Any ideas?
You need the direct link to the image. With Flickr, you have to go to the "Share" options, and fetch it out of the html code.
[img]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6110/6220978018_7fba39f2cf.jpg[/img]
Or use the BBCode provided:
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/srbradley/6220978018/][img]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6110/6220978018_7fba39f2cf.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/srbradley/6220978018/]Prizes![/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/srbradley/]samuelrbradley[/url], on Flickr
(I've now edited it into your post.)

Peter

aham... okay. Reverse earth turn? Hargh.... :o

Well, probably not today :-)

SamB

Yeah sorry it's just I heard some bragging that the flying hedgehog was too easy.........
Its about consistency and I find a good way to get consistent is to do stuff forwards and backwards and practice control.

Thanks for the image tips!

John

So no spike after the slip-on stick in around the cosmos?
Hah, not that it's a deal breaker, I get to the reverse earth turn and it just slays me every time..
So that's at least 1 competitor out, good luck chaps!!

Peter

Slip on stick is always including the spike, I would say. I mean, where should it slip else?!?! :-)

Yet, this becomes rather a Consistency Boot Camp, than a Consistency Competition. Reverse swing in, fine, but then? More Knees! Hahahaha... (*mad laughter*)

John

Ahhh yes, sorry - have seen many people do around the cosmos where they do the stall first (crosspiece stall? I've seen it called a frying pan) before popping up to spike, rather than "slipping on", so to speak. In which case it makes it even harder for me, 'cos I'm crap at slip on stick anyway :) And that Chomp is looking so good, too...

shalafi

I think I can do most of the tricks alone... but all together, that's something else.

Well, I guess it will improve my consistency anyway,
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

The Void

It took me longer to capture, export, encode & upload this than it did to film it, but...
Halley's Combo - juggling videos hosted @ Juggling.tv
(Still processing as I write Edit: It's ready now.)

You see how the offer of a Chomp can motivate someone?

Peter

still compyling? Wasn't able to view it so far, yet, I assume, while you are posting it, my taking a bath brake for getting my aching legs relaxed again has been to long :-)

Hell, man, this was an interesting challenge. Especially I liked this "new" reverse earth turn: exotic, and late in the row - so who is able to learn a new trick fastest. Nice Job Sam! And thank you Void for saving my weekend for training the Czech Trick ladder ;-)