News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

The Biweekly Combo Challenge

Started by TheBlackLion, 29 April, 2012, 17:55:12

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBlackLion

Hi all,

I usually don't talk a lot on this forum because I've always too many things to do, etc. But sometimes ago I had an idea about a nice new online contest.
I love online contest because this is the occasion to challenge, learn and have fun with the whole kendama community!

So the concept is quite simple: Every 2 weeks a theme (with some rules) is posted and the players have the first week to record themselve doing a combo of different tricks related to the theme/rules. There will be a little jury (3 people would be perfect) who will judge the different combos on kendama skills, theme and originality, and choose a winner.

But what's definied as a combo?
It's a combination of a certain amount of tricks, for example "Around the europe" is a combo of 7 moves (spike, Bc, spike, Lc, spike, Cc, spike) and this: lighthouse, sommersault, falling is a combo of 3 moves. The number of moves will be the limit of the combo, for example between 8 an 12 moves.

Here's some example of themes/rules to give you an idea:

- Ornithologist: the ball must be at least 4 times on the border of a cup during the combo (as in bird, bats or slip grip special) and must be between 8 and 10 moves.

- Symmetry: The first move of the combo has to be the same than the last move, the second the same than the penultimate, etc. and must be 8 or 10 moves.

- One more: The combo must be a repetion of 5 time the same 3 moves, so it's 15 moves.

- Equilibrium: the combo must contain at least 1 lighthouse, 1 lunar lander and 1 stilt and must be between 6 and 10 moves.

This kind of contest could be very fun because you have to be original, think of new tricks and furthermore be consistent!
I've no idea about any kind of prices but honestly I don't think it is necessary to have some fun... ;)
The only thing that is necessary is a jury so tell me if you're interested. What you think about this idea of contest?
And if you've any questions ask them.

The Void

I think it's not a bad idea, but...

... The more complex you make a competition, the fewer people are likely to enter. Also, I wouldn't bother setting it up as "bi-weekly" to start with - just do it as a one-off, and see how it goes. If it goes well, you can do it again.

As for judges, I suggest you have a total of 1 judge for the first one: you! Then you can be sure you are ready to launch the competition! :-)

But, all in all, go for it!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!