News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

KROM Deluxe?

Started by Toyz, 13 February, 2014, 02:39:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Toyz

Hello all!

I'm thinking of purchasing a new kendama, and have stumbled across the KROM line, specifically these two models:

- KROM Deluxe 7 Layer Zebra (Walnut and Maple)
- KROM Deluxe Red Oak w/ 5mm Walnut Stripe (Red oak and Maple)

Do any of you guys own these models specifically and can give me your honest opinion on these kendamas?
They are a bit pricey and I would really like to know how they play before I purchase them!

Thank you!

Crab Spy

Hi Toyz,

KROM is a solid kendama brand, you have good tastes! I do in fact own the Red Oak 5mm Walnut Stripe kendama they offer so I'll give you my thoughts on that and if it's worth the hefty price tag.

The moment you pick up this dama you'll fall in love with the weight of it. Yes, it is heavy. And that's a good thing. Weight distribution is amazing as well.

The sounds this thing makes during play is the most satisfying stuff I've heard come out of a kendama. It's like listening to a live orchestra playing music from The Legend of Zelda. 8)

The whole thing is gorgeous too. The oil finish they have on there really makes it something special to look at. It's astonishing how smooth the wood is too...  ???
Now, I know what you're thinking. "What?! Smooth? Does this effect lighthouses and lunars in a negative way?" Unfortunately, yes. Lighthouses aren't that big of an issue, but, although not impossible, it's a pain in the butt to land lunars consistently. However, I imagine these problems will become easier to manage after breaking it in.

The spike is holding up well after countless beatings. I don't know if I should superglue it or not as I have no prior experience with gluing hardwoods. That part is completely up to you. The sarrado isn't fixated permanently to the ken like a Tribute is but I haven't had any problems with it falling off since taking it out of the box.

Birds/Stilts are moderately easy to obtain. The string is very high quality. The walnut stripe that goes through the middle of the ball helps a lot with tracking the tama as it flies through the air.

Overall this is one of the best damas you can get out there in terms of quality. But is it worth the 60 bucks? I say definitely. This kendama feels like it'll last me a good long while which is saying a lot from me. I like to rough up my damas real good. Plus, on top of that, it's a limited edition! Biased, I know.  :-[

Sorry for the extremely long post. Hope my opinion helped sway you in the right direction! If you end up getting one, lemme know which number you got! :)

Limited Edition #78

Toyz

Wow, thank you so much for your detailed reply!

Yeah, I tried out my friends kendama the other day, and I noticed that it was noticeably a lot heavier, and made a much more resonating when landing something. Ever since then, I've been looking for a heavy kendama and your review stating that it is heavy helps a lot!

Do you somehow happen to know the difference between the red oak they use in that kendama, and the SMOKED red oak that they use in another model?

Thank you for your input!

Crab Spy

No problem bro. It always feels good being able to help a fellow kendama player pick out their next dama.

Quote from: Toyz on 13 February, 2014, 23:38:51
Do you somehow happen to know the difference between the red oak they use in that kendama, and the SMOKED red oak that they use in another model?

I do not know the exact difference between smoked or not.

I assume it must be purely for aesthetic purposes, though don't take my word for it. It may play differently.

Good luck!

Confound

I believe smoked is purely aesthetic. And here's a edit with me using a krom deluxe red oak, it's all I use now. It's not great fr lighthouses/Lunars but for whirlwinds and such it's great.