News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Kendama USA 2013 Pro Model question

Started by jesse.hill.1200, 18 March, 2013, 01:54:59

Previous topic - Next topic

jesse.hill.1200

Just would like to preface this with the fact that I haven't actually started playing Kendama yet as I am awaiting the arrival of the 2012 KenamaUSA Pro Model that I ordered last week (shipping to Canada is really slow).  Figures that exactly one week after I placed the order with Kendama USA they drop the 2013 Pro Model.  Part of me is wishing I would have waited a week (not that I knew they were coming out today when I made the order...) and part of me is glad that I have the 2012 Pro Model on its way instead.  What worries me is that the paint on the 2013 model appears to be a rubber paint.  Which from the research I have done is kind of like cheating and as a beginner I would really be taking a huge shortcut in learning to Kendama with rubber painted tamas.  So is the new 2013 model that Kendama USA just dropped actually a form of rubber paint or is it just some crazy new matte formula?  Is rubber paint cheating or the next evolution of Kendama playing?

JamesFM

Rubber paint is a training tool. IMO its cheating.

Those new 2013 kendama usa pro models on the other hand look like a matte paint, not rubber. Some would consider this cheating, I would call it an enjoyable advantage. If you are just trying to have some fun, that matte paint will make balance tricks much easier. I try not to take my "toys" too seriously. If you are trying to enter contests, get certified, go pro, etc...  maybe it's not a good idea to get comfortable with grippy paints.

primechicken

Don't be too upset that you got the 2012 model! Being this new to kendama you probably won't be able to notice much difference between kendamas yet, but if you still feel like getting the 2013 pro models after I'd suggest waiting till the cherrywood editions come out. My cherrywood Alex Smith pro model is one of my favorite dama's to jam. Love the weight on the cherrywoods.

HansNickmans

The post on Kengarden (if you're just starting out, follow this blog, it's awesome kengarden.tumblr.com) said the new models don't feel sticky at all. It feels (quote) "velvety soft to the touch". I don't know if it's really cheating, since there is so much difference in paints. My translucent tribute is very slippery and does not wear in, those first lighthouses were a real challenge. And my yellow oozora had stable lighthouse right out of the package (mostly because of the rough base cup edge). And I don't consider an oozora cheating...

It's really like JamesFM said, you need to choose what you want to do with it. But I would start with a standard kendama, to get your basics down without to much help. So I guess the 2012 pro model is a great way to start, I heard nothing but good about them. And that paint is really not cheating ;-)

Have fun playing and welcome to the forum!
Kendama Belgium!

AlexSmith

Stoked to see the 2013 pro models finally up for sale online!
There have been a lot of questions about the new paint, so here's a little info on it:

A lot of people have remarked that the paint has a 'rubbery' feel, don't let this turn you off though - the 2013 pro models don't have a rubberized paint like some other small brands have released in the past (I've played with some of those models, they're quite different). The Kengarden's description of 'velvety soft to the touch' sounds pretty accurate to me.
When they advertise these as 'pro team tested and approved' they're telling the truth - we tried out a lot of different paint samples before we came to the consensus that this was the favourite. Our goal was to make something that was very fair and playable - this isn't the skill-honing slick paint of a TK-16, or the super lunar-gripping sourmash custom, its something new that we're hoping will allow players to push the boundaries of what they can do with a kendama.
In short, the team wouldn't have decided on this paint if it wasn't something we really enjoyed. Hopefully you guys dig it as well!

theobau

I have a rubberized KROM (the translucent one) - and the paint chip off so easy, how about the pro models? /same problem?

Theo
//Denmark

Tetsuya Takahashi

Surprisingly no. These can take on heck of a beating. They're very good for ball tricks straight out of the pack unlike the old pros, which take some time to wear in.

theobau

thanks! ^ - now I have a reason to buy it! haha

Tetsuya Takahashi

id wait till they make all cherry ones... if they ever do haha

primechicken

Quote from: Tetsuya Takahashi on 06 April, 2013, 00:18:40
id wait till they make all cherry ones... if they ever do haha
They will. You can clearly see them being used by the KenUSA team in the Kendama USA in Japan video. Plus the fact that the 2012 cherry's sold pretty well I don't see why they wouldn't.

Tetsuya Takahashi

I saw a comment saying it was a 2012 handle with  a2013 ball