News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

What's that trick called...

Started by John, 03 August, 2011, 17:14:47

Previous topic - Next topic

The Void

Talin wasn't sure of this trick's name:

Instagram link!
(<--Instavid)
I was going to say it's a Turnover (See "Spike!"), but then I realised he's doing a variation. His is:
Turn, Release (throw, if you like), Catch
as opposed to the 'standard'
Release (throw), Catch & Turn (in one move).

So... "Talin Turnover"?
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

the milky oolong

Really nice trick, surely you can go into loads of variants from there. Thinking it would be amazing with a cheeky JS at the top.
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

kayadama

I dont really know many trick names right now but i was curious what this is called? The two things after the pull up kenflip spike.

https://instagram.com/p/1VI4bOxv0d

Cheers

The Void

I suppose it's a "part curl"? Not really sure, as I can't see if you're doing a grip change or not.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

talincrow

Was trying to look through this thread and couldnt find it. What is the official name of the trick where you hold the tama-> airplane but instead of spiking it you land the ken on top of the hole balancing it? Someone called it a "bellyflop" but I know there's a different name for it.

Dimensions

Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

shalafi

I think that's dead body. It was on the EKO list past year
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

talincrow

Yes Dimensions and shalafi! That's what I was looking for!

The Void

Quote from: Cliffdama on 01 October, 2015, 06:26:57And i'm going to leave this here for everyone to watch, i'm beyobd hyped that i finally did it! Can you help me name this @thevoid ?

Hey, @Cliffdama , pretty damn neat trick!
Quote from: Kev on 01 October, 2015, 09:22:53Great trick!

Personally I'd call it Aeroplane > Gear Change > 3 Turn Reverse Aeroplane.

#AeroGearChangeTripReverseAero
Wouldn't it be Reverse Gear, @Kev? :)

Well, Snapback was suggested for the immediate-pull-back-to-spike trick, but it seems that has become known as Yank[nb]Because polysyllabics bad?![/nb]. That trick involved tugging on the string to reverse the direction of the ball, so I think your trick would be...

1-Turn Yank Reverse 3-Turn Aeroplane

It's debatable whether "Reverse" is needed in there, but I suppose it should be. Theoretically, you could Yank to re-spin in the same direction, right? (I'm pretty sure someone[nb]@Dimensions ?[/nb] has done something like that...)

Nice work.

Kev

Quote from: The Void on 01 October, 2015, 12:20:17
Wouldn't it be Reverse Gear, @Kev? :)

Ha! Could be. Thing is, all the kendamas I own only have 2 gears - forwards and backwards so Gear Change = Direction change for me  ;)

On a serious note, I think trick names should:

1) Give total clarity of what the trick actually is.
2) In as few words as possible.
3) Sound good.

The Void

Ideally, yes. I don't think 1 & 2 are often mutually compatible though! :)

Kev

Absolutely. And 3) is a matter of opinion!

Dimensions

Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

Cliffdama

Wow thats some cool stuff and that name sounds right to me! I was playing with it a bit more and found out i can do another set of turns al from that first trow. This is cool to do! ^^

The Void

Quote from: Cliffdama on 01 October, 2015, 21:42:59
Wow thats some cool stuff and that name sounds right to me! I was playing with it a bit more and found out i can do another set of turns al from that first trow. This is cool to do! ^^
You mean something like
1-Turn Yank 1-Turn Yank 2-Turn Aeroplane
...?
That'd be neat!