News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Extreme Kendama α

Started by SamB, 08 November, 2011, 20:10:46

Previous topic - Next topic

SamB

So I remember watching this video by Katsuaki Shimadera when I started out playing kendama and going "Oh look that guy is good." 2 years on I rewatch it[nb]Thanks to this nice bit of news http://dealwithitsf.tumblr.com/post/12473638740/katsuaki-shimadera-in-the-paper[/nb] and I'm hands on head, mouth agape, shouting "NO WAY" at my computer:

Among other things this video just corrected my suicide and handroll techniques instantly. My question really is how do you do those ball scoop off the floor things?!?! I tried and failed spectacularly.
Also anyone else managed any of those slip grip combos? And I speculated a bird gunslinger was possible but he makes it look like nothing?!!!

OK I'll calm down...
I just think this is one of the best kendama videos in terms of baffling trick density and now I'm off  to master them all! Any tips?[nb]Is Katsuaki Shimadera on the forum yet?[/nb]
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

The Void

It's also on JTV, by the way, in case anyone wants an iPhone/Pod/Pad-ready download.
Extreme Kendama α - juggling videos hosted @ Juggling.tv

As for the scoop-up tricks, I can give a pointer. Place the ken in position, with the cup touching the ball. Now look at how your hand is holding the ken, and reposition your hand relative to the ken with a slight twist so you get your thumb as close to the floor as you can. Now, when scooping up, think about rotating the wrist/forearm upwards (think: twist!), as well as the main sideways arm movement (think: lift!).

K.Cima has not joined the forum yet.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

AlexSmith

The scoop up is the ultimate example of a 'That looks easy! I'm gonna try it! then fail miserably and unexpectedly' trick.
I find it helps if I try to 'push through' the ball instead of trying to 'scoop it'. Either way, once you figure out the motion it's not too tricky. It's just the figuring it out part that will get you.

DrJochum

This video is exceptional!

Is he doing a Gunslinger Bird at 2:29 ?

I am so proud: I have a Kendama signed by him!

My favourite extreme video though is from Jeffrey:
http://kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,173.0.html
Body and mind - Kendama and Shogi