News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

new to kendama, questions on which to buy?

Started by mac210, 04 February, 2012, 19:01:58

Previous topic - Next topic

mac210

I'm 100% new to kendama but all the videos I've seen make me think this looks pretty cool and I really want to try my hadn at it (soo glad I found this forum). I do some yo-yo already. so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a good starter kendama? also, the site where I buy my yo-yos sell kendamas now (http://www.yoyosam.com/p-1396-bahama-kendama-bimini-leopard-kendama.aspx if anyone is interested, and that's the one I'm eyeing because it's leopard!) and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about them or have played with them?  I figured this was the place to ask!  thanks in advance!

BKA

Hello mac, welcome to the forum.

The Bahama kendama is a fairly new model which we've not heard any reports of yet. If in doubt go with a JKA-sealed kendama, would be our advice.... or get something you like the look of. You really can't go toooooo far wrong, and even if you do, £15 or so isn't much to splash out a second time.

Let us know what you end up getting, and (after you've played it for a few weeks) how much you like it.

Happy clicking!

FilthyTown

I had a friend buy a bahama off of ebay.  It is fine for a beginner, but for the money and considering the different color options Sunrise kendamas are extremely affordable and made top notch.

Hope that was helpful.

Elrick

Harrydh3

JKA seal kendama's are the best way to go, i'd say an Oozora is the one you want, none of the fancy coloured ones are ever any good the paint is very often of poor quality with a white undercoat, this means, less grip and that the paint doesnt wear propperly, it just chips off in big chunks leaving a rough surface on the ball, If you like the jazzy colours ooz have just brought out year of the dragon ones!
http://kendamausa.com/tag/oozora/

AlexSmith

Buy a red TK-16. Play the crap out of it.

Thats usually my advice. Gotta keep it classic.

Mark

Quote from: AlexSmith on 06 February, 2012, 12:02:12
Buy a red TK-16. Play the crap out of it.

Thats usually my advice. Gotta keep it classic.
Thats exactly what i did!
British STC: 2008 - 1st ....  2009 - 2nd ... 2011 - 4th
British Advanced Championship: 2011 - 4th

By markool89 at 2011-08-06

FilthyTown

Tk16 is a great choice, mine still gets played more than any other kendama I have.

SamB

Another shout for the red TK16 from me. Lives in the office now, 2 1/2 years on it never chipped, the spike is completely flat, and its got this wierd super sticky waxy texture.
I don't know if they're best but they're great firsts.
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

mac210

you guys = the best.  thanks so much for the input!  I'm going to mull it over a bit before making my decision...

Kendama Co

For a beginner start with a Sunrise or TK, then work up to an Ozora! I would stick with the main brands of kendama like sunrise, TK-16, and Ozora that are reliable and guaranteed to be high quality.