News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

What's that trick called...

Started by John, 03 August, 2011, 17:14:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Dadooh

Quote from: BKA on 05 March, 2012, 14:07:16
Sometimes it's hard to distinguish between a name and a description. You could describe that as "Finger-Wrap Swing In > Unwrap Swing In". Any other ideas, people?

It's ok for me. I like this description, it's enough. Thanks a lot. This tread is very helpful.

FilthyTown

Times like these I really wish I had a camera...

Basically I have been experimenting with lunar/somersaults variations when pushing/pulling the tama differently.

I have been doing one in particular where you start from a lunar and pull the tama towards you quick and to the right just a tiny bit...(right handed)

This motion has been flipping the ken 180 degree vertical/spinning the ken 180 tornado<? to where the big cup lands perfectly into inward lunar position almost everytime after a little practice.

Now I am curious what is this trick called when the ken flips like that?  Skateboards have a trick similar called a varial flip for a better explanation...

Unfortunately I'm not good with inwards and can't balance it out proper just yet.  Soon...I hope. lol

The Void

I just watched a skateboard video to find out what a varial was. It looks like what I imagined your description looked like, but perhaps with an extra rotation in one axis. But I'm not sure.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

SamB

I think I get it. To use aeroplane terminology a varial flip is a 360 degree roll with 180 degree yaw (kickflip-pop shuvit). I have no idea what that translates to in kendama terms especially ending in an inwads lunar. Is it starting from the string hook or an aeroplane start? I might give it a go.
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

Thorny

(Slightly different) but I've once managed a Lunar Shuvit many moons ago!
Start of with an inward lunar and an odd, and difficult to explain, flick of the wrist and it popped up and around to lunar without any spinning around it's other axis.

If you're unsure, watch Oase Edit 5 again and take note of him doing it somewhere in the second half!

FilthyTown

I saw that lunar shuv-it in the Oase edit, so crazy!  Props on landing one of those Thorny!  I don't even know where to begin with that one...haha

I guess a skateboard varial isn't very accurate since the ken spins only 180 and a skateboard does a full 360 spin.

Imagine a person doing an aerial twist and their feet are the bug cup...

FilthyTown

Ah ha.  In skateboarding it is called a hardflip.  Sorry this was so confusing.

Kernow Kendama

I don't know if this is a new trick or not!? My friend Wez (in the video) came up with the idea. None of us has ever seen it done before, so thought i'd post it and find out.
Maybe it does exist, if so does anyone know what it's called? We were calling it the Hurri-plane like hurricane as in the old Airplane and the storm, we thought as the ken was spinning and similar to Airplane it kind of fitted. As you can tell at the end we were quite excited when he landed it ;D
KEN BOOTY

The Void

Hi,

Well done Wez, but I'm afraid it's not a new trick. You'll find that on page 47 of Knees, or inside KendamApp. It's called The Drill.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Kernow Kendama

Awwwww.

Oh well, We had a class time thinking we'd invented it ;)

Cheers Void
KEN BOOTY

TheKendamaSensation

No. It's not Beckoning Cat that he's talking about. I'm not sure what it's called, but I've seen it on videos. I think its that one where the ball is on the big cup (Beckoning Cat starts on Spike.) You put your index finger on the small cup, the ball is still on the big cup. Then ever finger but your index finger leaves the ken. Then the ken rotates 360 degrees around you index finger. Then after it rotates, you put all your fingers back on to catch it.

BKA

Quote from: TheKendamaSensation on 09 September, 2012, 23:11:46
No. It's not Beckoning Cat that he's talking about. I'm not sure what it's called, but I've seen it on videos. I think its that one where the ball is on the big cup (Beckoning Cat starts on Spike.) You put your index finger on the small cup, the ball is still on the big cup. Then ever finger but your index finger leaves the ken. Then the ken rotates 360 degrees around you index finger. Then after it rotates, you put all your fingers back on to catch it.
You are describing penshiru mawashi/Turntable.

The Void

TheKendamaSensation