News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Yoko Haneken

Started by The Void, 21 August, 2011, 21:29:09

Previous topic - Next topic

The Void

= rotor blade = ufo = sideways jumping stick.

Not diagonal jumping stick. You know who you are. :P
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Thorny

Thank you, Void - they do know who they are!  :P

MasterKatra42

I was wondering what the real terminology for what I called a "UFO" was.  Is it really Yoko Haneken?  That's good info!

I do try hard to keep it on plane with the ground when I try this trick.  I can see how some people do not keep their yoko haneken up to standard.  While we're at it, have you ever tried a jumping stick with a twist?  I'm not sure if that has a name (it probably does) but it just involves turning your hand like a doorknob while making the motion for a regular haneken.

The Void

Hi Joe, yeah, that's it. http://kendama.co.uk/100tricks.html for a bit more info.

I'm not sure exactly what I made this post for... it's just something I'd noticed in a few videos[nb]No, I can't remember which ones, and without going and watching a squillion videos again, I actually don't know who you are![/nb], that the ufos were noticeably tilted upwards a bit. I guess "don't do that in competition[nb]Or not one that I'm judging, at least![/nb]" is all I'm saying.

I'd never tried the doorknob jumping stick until just now. I thought it would be an ugly trick, but it's actually quite nice. We've established that a trick where the ken is rotating around its long axis[nb](....during a transition?)[/nb] is called a Tornado, so I guess this is a Tornado Jumping Stick. (Although I'd be tempted to think of it as a Corkscrew JS....) Now go and get it on video before someone else does!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

MasterKatra42

Too late, Colin Sander strikes once again.  He throws down some tornado candle, tornado jumping stick and tornado lighthouse in Kendama USA edit 8.

I've heard people call tornado lunar a barrel roll.  Is that just personal terminology, or does that have anything to do with an actual named trick?

BKA

I would guess it's a term adopted from skating.

AlexSmith

Quote from: MasterKatra42 on 22 August, 2011, 17:53:54

I've heard people call tornado lunar a barrel roll.  Is that just personal terminology, or does that have anything to do with an actual named trick?

I've heard this too. The people I play with often call it a lunar kickflip too, seems like every group has slight variations with trick names.

Wanna get real tricky? Try a lunar 3 flip (name basically adapted from skateboarding). Lunar flip plus tornado.

Cand1ez

not that i can do it... but i see inverted lunar to lunar as a hardflip...  its just how i think of it.

half a kickflip and half a shove it.

my skate terminology may be off here tho...

as fround upon as it may be.  skating has some really good analogies for KD tricks

Harrydh3

i call it lunar barrel roll, Never heard 'tornado lunar' before this thread lol

BKA

MasterKatra42

I was just practicing the Yoko Haneken tonight and some things were made clear.  Sometimes as I'm coming up with my knees to release, I push forward and the stick doesn't come out of the hole.  If I put a slight wrist flick with it, the ken exits cleanly.  This is really accentuated in doing an outward yoko haneken.  If you're having similar trouble, I would suggest adding a little wrist flick in the direction you want the ken to go.

What's the terminology for going the reverse direction?  Outward instead of inward.

The Void

I suppose it would be Ura Yoko Haneken, or Reverse UFO. (Ura=Reverse)

the milky oolong

On a similar note, is there a term for a Jumping Stick where the motion is left-right instead of up-down? Maybe this isn't clear enough - I mean, when the ken leaves the tama and 'cartwheels' before being caught again? Maybe it's just the same, but I tend to see people doing Jumping Stick with the plane of motion being vertical/longitudinal, if that's not stretching the description too far. I often practise this 'Cartwheel Jumping Stick' and find it has a nice aesthetic about it (excuse the kendama neologism of Cartwheel JS).

Any comments?
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

bonzatron

ive been calling that trick rainbow but i dont know the real terminology so dont quote me on that

The Void

If you mean the spin is in the line-of-the shoulders plane (to your side) instead of the through-the-spine-and-the-nose plane (in front of you), then it's still just a Jumping Stick. If you mean something else... Then sorry, but I don't understand. Video?