News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

The ever popular "Today I..." thread

Started by BatDancer, 04 July, 2011, 21:24:24

Previous topic - Next topic

shalafi

Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

Kev

Quote from: shalafi on 13 January, 2014, 12:49:29
Nice one Kev!

Thanks [user]Shalafi[/user] Pretty stoked :) Just got to do it again (and again and again) then at the BKO for real - a grading is a lot more pressure than a self cert as you've no doubt experienced too!

Are you coming along to the BKO yourself?

The Void

[user]Kendamski[/user] I hate that one.. well done.
[user]Kev[/user] it's great reading people's progress and hearing what keeps them inspired and pushing forwards... and it looks like it worked - with a selfie 1st Dan, yay!
Quote from: LarsVegas on 11 January, 2014, 21:01:46I tried to copy Void's body position and movement
[user]LarsVegas[/user]Excellent! That was exactly how I started to learn "above kyu-level" tricks - by watching vids of Japanese players and trying to mimic their movements. Well done on Scoopery, and others.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

the milky oolong

...Went back to the TK16 to glean wisdom from its near-optimal weight distribution. Result? Finally getting consistent with Opposite Lunar, a trick/position that has frustrated my every attempt to get close to it. The TK16 showed me where to direct the 'tug' and the pitch of the landing, things I just couldn't work out from tutorials. Hurrah for the little guys!
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

shalafi

Quote from: Kev on 13 January, 2014, 18:33:28
Are you coming along to the BKO yourself?
Maybe, with a small baby things are not easy to plan, but I do want to go, so I'll try :)
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

Kev

Great! Hope you can make it. And with all that hard work parenting you must deserve a break now right ;)

The Void

Urk. Having 5 days off from my Dan practice has definitely not helped. Time to get back on the horse....
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Dimensions

Your not the only one failing Void
Today I failed my 2nd Dan practice on one of the easier tricks... Earth turn

But luckily it was only one miss so I managed all of the 1st Dan list instead

Oh and a question about Moshikame in gradings
Are you allowed to use a metronome to keep you in time - I'm really bad at MK without it
Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

BKA

You can use a metronome app (or music) with headphones, but not an audible one. It is too distracting to the examiner trying to count.

Dimensions

Ok that's fine, I'm using your Kendamapp
At least I know that's cool because I can get to over 4 minutes with it - which I did the other day!
Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

the milky oolong

... found my UFO after several weeks of not landing a clean one.

Turns out it was air-sealed inside the packaging of a new Play Kendama 2013, like the spare string coming free of charge!

Bam! Didn't expect that one!

[user]Void[/user], head up, get back in the saddle - wait, do Unicorns have saddles? Another bad joke with Bamboo Horse? no? Alright.

[user]Dimensions[/user], congratulations on pushing through with the 2nd Dan!
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

emagdnim

Focused on two tricks and landed both

- Spacewalk 1turn lighthouse tradespike
- Don't know trick name but goes like this.
  spacewalk - trow the ken like you would do with a jumping stick, and when the base cub is turning your way, hit it with the tamma so it
  rotates the opposite let it turn for a whole round and land it back in the tamma.

HansNickmans

Some clicking this weekend. Managed to get a lunar to in and a earth turn whirlwind with an audience.
Also, after seeing it pop up in Cooper Eddy's last video and the facebook kendama community, I tried doing the 'ladybug'. Was a lot easier than I suspected, now on to some funky variations!
Kendama Belgium!

The Void

milky: Yeah, I've been back on it, getting a bit closer again. Trying to get more than 1 run per day on average in January, and more after that. (I'm behind schedule so far). Today I did very little, but I was at a poker game, and I did get a couple of the other players having a go.
Emagdnim: Tap-back Jumping Stick?
Hans: I've not seen that - post a link to Cooper's vid in Videos?

The Void

3 runs at 6D today. The first was the best, only missing 1 trick by 1 hit. But on a trick I'm normally solid with. :/